Monday, March 30, 2009

Orchestrated Chaos

There are people who say that music is forbidden in Islam. And there are people who say it isn't.
Bear with me here for a minute. (but no baring please!)
I grew up listening to music and I was crazy about it like most teens I guess.
And I understand the reasons why music would be considered bad, but I can also feel the good parts, or what most people who aren't Muslim consider the good parts.
In any case, there are so many Muslims who aren't aware that there is even an issue about music being right or wrong to listen to.

I have an ipod and it is loaded with both music and the quran. I don't listen to my ipod often, and in fact I only bought it originally for when traveling.

I got it out tonight when I was sitting on the couch, and I was flipping through the songs, and I found one that is a favorite of mine, and that always makes me smile, no matter what.

While I was sitting and listening, what occurred to me was the difference between the world going on inside the headphones, and the world outside the headphones.
Outside there is chaos. Traffic, horns, ambulances, police sirens, the loud toy store, the school across the street (all the day long normal noises here).
And on the inside, coming through the headphones, the perfectly orchestrated world of music recording. Nothing left to chance, nothing out of place, everything precise and ordered.

Honestly, I was just so happy hearing some favorite songs, but that's not to say that I don't love the noise of the chaos outside as well.
They are just two very different things.
And I think too much of either one is just that - too much.


In other news....
One wedding Thursday night (Thursday here is like Friday in the States), two weddings on Friday, none on Saturday, then one on Sunday!
I'm actually missing them now when I don't hear them. The sound only lasts a few short minutes and it's nice. Even the loud trilling that I'm sure would make me just about deaf if I was within five feet of it. lol

Had salad twice this week! Hurrah!
There is a restaurant down the street called Whats In. It is now my favorite for take out. They have decent salads, though I would say overpriced for what you actually get. And they have panini sandwiches that are great. I never ate panini sandwiches in the States, though I knew of them.
Not sure what I will manage for breakfast tomorrow. I am running out of sliced cheese and bread, so we will need to go to the store. And cheese / bread is not really my idea of an ideal breakfast anyways.
I miss being able to make my cinnamon applesauce raisin chocolate chip bread, but insha'Allah I will be able to make it again soon.
Actually I've been craving oatmeal since a few days ago, though I haven't eaten oatmeal from breakfast in some years now. And while we're on the subject of oatmeal, some oatmeal raisin cookies (perhaps with some chocolate chips thrown in, because you really can never have too much chocolate can you?), sounds awfully good right now! Yum!
I can't wait to have a kitchen!

There is a page that I've had bookmarked for some time, and it has some great pictures from around Cairo. I will put up the links soon. Some of the pictures are ones that I would want to take myself and show you, so until I can take something better, these pictures will be a nice little peek on the life here.
It really is a beautiful city, with all the pluses and minuses.

5 comments:

Shari said...

Your writing is poetry. You can make small things appear so very interesting. I check your blog several times a day, just hoping for another new "musing" from Melissa. I've shared your blog sight with close friends - i.e. Barbara Wellnitz and Pris Reding. Love, Mom

Shari said...

I'm curious, what's the name of the song you have on your Ipod that's a favorite...the one that always makes you smile?

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the song too!

Melissa said...

Mint Royale - Show me

Shari said...

I'm going to stop by Borders today to hear that song. I've never heard of the group Mint Royale. Do you get American Idol in Cairo? If so, check out Adam Lambert and let me know what you think.