Friday, March 27, 2009

Turkey sandwhiches

Feeling much better today, neck wise. Still some sore but insha'Allah within another couple of days I'll be as good as new. My left arm is still sore, which makes me more sure that it was probably a pinched nerve. My husband thinks the whole thing was caused by weather. They have some different ideas here about getting sick and weather. I don't agree with them, but if it makes them happy, so be it. :D

It's 1:45 am and we just had dinner. lol
I had a turkey sandwich with extra pickles. yum.
Ahmed had some kind of hot breaded chicken sandwich.

The traffic isn't getting any more likable. But! I've been here for a week already so hopefully that means only 3 more weeks of the noise at this apartment.

Not sure when we'll have word about if we're moving to Kuwait or not. Not sure what to think about it in general since I've never been there, but Ahmed assures me that I'll like it, that it's nice and clean. We shall see.

Tomorrow we are planning to go furniture shopping at a furniture expo type of thing that is going on. Well, furniture looking might be a more appropriate phrase. Who knows if we'll buy anything or not.

Apparently, and let this be a warning to anyone who visits Egypt, you are not allowed to take naps on couches!
lol
Don't ask.
:D

When we were on the way to Ahmed's folks house today, the taxi took a different route than the normal one we seem to take. He took more back streets. I always love to drive on the back streets because you get to see more of life than just driving down the main roads. I wish I could describe it but I don't think I'd get it right, so let me think on it some and come back to it.

Of course, you can't really drive anywhere and not see donkeys pulling carts. It really amuses me. Not just because of what they are, but that they are so persistently who they are, in the face of ever increasing modernization. Of course it's cheaper I'm sure to haul stuff on a donkey than to buy a truck and pay for upkeep and gas and all that. I don't know, but it puts a little smile in me whenever I see them going down a main road with all the honking cars and buses side by side.

The other night as we were relaxing, I heard some sounds from the passing cars. I can't remember which particular sound this one was, because there are so many, but I distinctly remember that it was a sound that I had heard from the movie Blade Runner, which is one of my favorite movies. I told Ahmed and he laughed. And then a day later the movie came on tv. Amusing. More amusing is that I continue to hear sounds that I've only heard from that movie before.
And tonight, Ahmed happened to ask me why I liked the movie so much. In my mind I started to relate the Egyptians with the dwellers in the land of the movie Blade Runner. They live in perhaps crappy circumstances, but they are making the best of what they have. I dunno, in my mind there was a big connection but I'm not coming up with it right at the moment.

It's 2:13 am. So long, farewell...

2 comments:

Marcouiller Trimble said...

Kuwait is supposed to be very nice!

Melissa said...

Yeah I am a little excited thinking about it. But what if I like Kuwait and don't want to move back to Egypt? lol