Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Water heaters and stiff necks

Well, I woke up today (Monday morning) with a stiff neck. At first I assumed it was because of the strange pillows they have here, which we mostly didn't sleep on when I visited last time. But after thinking it over I decided I probably just slept on my neck wrong, as sometimes happens.
I wish we had a hot water bottle or heating pad, but since we just got here we really aren't established and I didn't feel like sending hubby on a chase for either item.
While he was at work this morning I did try using a hot washcloth on the back of my neck for a while, but getting up every 5 minutes to heat it up some more got old really fast. lol
I finally decided that a hot shower would be nice. I could just let the hot water run on my neck and also I could try to heat up in general since it was windy/cold/overcast today.
Well, I gather my things and go into the bathroom and start the shower. After stepping in so to speak, all is well and I'm loving the hot water, but noticing that I keep having to turn up the heat fairly quickly. It's not lasting long each time I turn it up. All in all, I think I got 5 minutes max out of the shower, and it was probably more like 3 minutes.
Very disappointing, but I did learn something. Which is that the water heater, which is a little dealy bob that hangs from the wall near the ceiling, actually needs to be turned on before you take a shower. lol
I just assumed it stayed on all the time and I'm sure Ahmed assumed I knew to turn it on before showering.
Now I know better and insha'Allah I will be having that nice hot shower tomorrow.
:D

I'm sick of the traffic noise. For sure.
Maybe ear plugs will help some. I'll try it tomorrow insha'Allah and see.
I wonder what people do all night that there is always traffic here on this road? Ahmed says that this road leads to 6th October, so people are driving back and forth, which is fine, but I can't imagine that they work any different hours than the rest of Egypt, so what are all these people doing up all night long???!!!! Go to bed people!!
lol

We might go to City Stars, which is a big mall, later in the week. I told Ahmed there was no rush, just that I wanted to go sooner or later. We will see.

It's 2:45 now, in the morning. Maybe I will try to find some sleep, though I'm not sure my neck will like it so much.

3 comments:

Shari said...

We continue to enjoy your "adventures" in Egypt. Sounds like you're learning something every day - i.e. how to have enough hot water for a complete shower. Noise...yeah, I know whatcha mean. When my ears started ringing years ago, it took me a long time to get used to it - it was so distracting. Now I notice it only when the "pitch" changes. LOL It's like standing under a power line. Can we send you anything...like pillows? heh heh. And maybe you'd like to have those nice sheets you gave me. BTW, thanks for the videos; they really give us a picture of where you are. Love, Mom

Melissa said...

The bed sizes here are different I think, so I don't think the sheets would fit. And if I had had room in my luggage I had been planning on taking my pillow, but it's not worth the shipping costs to send it over separately. I'll find one I like by the time we get our own place.

Zahra said...

As salamu alaikum sis
Hope you feel better <3 I know how annoying and painful a stiff neck can feel.