Saturday, March 21, 2009

Noise much?

My husband found an apartment for us the day that I got here. He wanted to take it before anyone else could, and he thought I would be okay with the place. We were only planning to be in the place a month anyways, so no big deal if it wasn't perfect.
Well, the apartment itself is not bad. There are a couple of issues I have (the kitchen is the size of a small matchbox and the bathtub was made for babies?) but since we are here a short time I can deal with these things.
But...
The noise.
Wow.
This makes the apartment in Alexandria seem quiet by comparison.
lol
We are on the Pyramid street. It's quite long and I can't remember what hotel we are near to describe exactly where we're at. I think it's maybe 15 or 20 minutes to get to the pyramids from here. On the bottom floor of the apartment building (we are on the third floor), there is a Mobinil business that takes up the ground floor I guess.
Anyways, there appears to be a police station within a block from here, because there are sirens emanating from the block at all hours.
There is also a wedding hall in the building next to us, and if you have never heard the traditional Egyptian wedding, it has women trilling and drums and clapping and some kind of horn and people are dancing and it's really quite loud, well... it's loud. I don't know how many people have this type of celebration. It is not Islamic, but of course there are still Muslims who do this.
I believe there is a toy store close by as well that has some loud toys.
And, the street itself is busy non-stop with traffic. And I mean non-stop.
Ahmed got up for something at 4 am this morning, and I woke and was laying there listening to the traffic. It stopped 2 times, for about 2 seconds each, and it felt like something was wrong. Where was the noise? It's just continuous. It slows down a bit at night, but not as much as you would think.
It takes some adjusting.
I took some videos of the street but I haven't uploaded them to the computer yet. When I do I'll put a link up so that you can see.

I had a cheeseburger today from Hardee's. I believe it is like Carl's Jr. in the States. Of course, since I started eating meat some months ago, I couldn't eat out at fast food restaurants because in the States they don't serve halal burgers.
So this is the first burger I've had out in more years than I can remember. It wasn't spectacular but it was okay. I tend to not like alot of fast food type food anyways so I don't think it will be a habit.

Dinnertime now. Grilled cheese. Yum. I'll be back to post later or tomorrow.

3 comments:

Shari said...

Melis, you write so well and I love to read your descriptions of Cairo. If I had read your blog first, I wouldn't have had to bother you with all my questions in the emails - lol. We woke up to SNOW on the ground here in the valley this morning. I'm sure glad we came home a couple of days early. Miss knowing that you're only 3.5 hours away. -- Love, Mom

Shari said...

By the way, you're going to have to change your personal profile as it still gives your location as California. LOL

Dad said...

Melissa, keep up your blogging. It is quite good. Enjoy your descriptions. We will miss having you relatively close by but, with these communications, it will be more tolerable. BTW, you looked beautiful when you departed SFO airport.
Love, Dad