Saturday, March 28, 2009

Untitled no. 37

Hello and welcome....lol

I'd just about give an eye tooth for some food that wasn't full of grease/butter/oil and or fried, oh, or processed and full of weird non-foods and msg.
*sigh*
I'd be more than happy to cook but our little kitchen in this temporary apartment isn't equipped well at all. One pot/pan, i think there is one spoon, a few plastic plates, and that's about it. Oh, and some cups.
I can't wait to have our own place where I can cook whatever I please. Well, that is, if I can find the ingredients required. I still am not sure about that. It seems most stores are like a little corner market and they aren't like shopping in a supermarket like Safeway or something. I'm sure I will have to hunt around for some things, but I should be able to get basics fairly easily I guess. I hope!
I would just love some very plain food right now. No spice. No fat. Nothing fried.
Some plain jasmine rice and cooked broccoli / carrots sounds like heaven. With maybe just a touch of garlic salt, but that's it, no butter or anything else.
lol
I don't usually drink much soda, but I've been drinking 7-up with meals as it seems to help combat, at least the tiniest bit, some of the grease/fat from the foods I've been eating.
I didn't start out thinking about posting about this, but I happen to be hungry at the moment so I guess it's on my mind.

We never did get out to the furniture place on Friday. We slept pretty late and then lazed around the rest of the day.
I'm not sure when we'll go. The fair ends at some point but I'm not sure when. I'll ask Ahmed.

We were talking about the noise from the street. He thinks that maybe there is just something strange about the street here, because he's lived in places with traffic like this and it wasn't as loud. So perhaps it's just the acoustics of this area of the street or something. Or the floor we're on. Who knows.
It's hard to hear the tv well, or have a conversation unless you are right next to each other. lol

I was looking forward to earth hour tonight. It should be in less than half an hour here. Except that my husband has gone back out to work. And sitting in a dark apartment by myself for an hour sounds kinda creepy and scary, so oh well.
I hope many people are participating in this to show that they care. Even if we can't "fix" things, at least we can try to slow down the damage that we are doing. Even if the planet is naturally going into another phase where the temps are changing, that doesn't mean we need to help it along.

I'm sure I had a lot to write about but I'm feeling blank.
Perhaps tomorrow.

5 comments:

Dad said...

Melissa: thanks for the earth night demo set for 8:30 p.m. I can turn the lights off for an hour but what about the t.v. LOL I can appreciate your need for healthy food knowing how you accent healthy eating. You and Ahmed should do some serious shopping together or go to good restaurants. Keep your chin up, good tidings are coming.

Love, Dad

Shari said...

You mean they don't have a Whole Foods Store in Cairo? After reading your latest missive, I felt like sending you a "care package" filled with your favorite foods. Love -- Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Just wondering if you can go out alone - safety concerns, traditions, etc - into the neighborhood to find even a small shop. When I used to backpack around Europe, I never saw a supermarket (they didn't really have much like that back then) and I did really well in small shops where I would buy fresh bread, cheese and fruit. I mostly looked in the windows at pastry shops because on my budget that would have been quite a luxury. A small shop might have some canned things. I know that's not quite as good, but at least it isn't fried. I'd be starving by now if all I had to eat was fried stuff. Good luck on your search for 'real' food.
Jane

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Feeling sorry for your food problem, I did a google search for supermarkets in Cairo and came up with 2 which were recommended. Carrefour, which is French, is relatively cheap and has lots of othere stuff besides food like kitchen stuff. Metro has organic food in addition to regular groceries. Hope you can find one of these.
Jane

Melissa said...

Jane, thanks for the search. Ahmed planned for us to go to one of them this week. There are actually four larger markets. But they are all a good hour or so away (I'm presuming in different directions).
I probably could go out to one of the little stores, but I don't know how to read prices in Egyptian pounds and so it becomes a little more difficult than just running down to the store.
I managed a salad from some takeaway place the other night so that was definitely a plus.
We'll get this sorted this week hopefully.