Monday, April 13, 2009

Spot the Microbus






There are several different types of public transportation here.
The one used most often other than taxis, at least as far as I can see (not including the metro - underground), is the VW Microbus.
They are literally everywhere on the roads.
They follow a certain route, back and forth, and pick up passengers along the way. I haven't quite got down how you know which bus you need since they aren't labeled as far as I can see, but I think they slow down and someone yells out the destination of the bus. However don't quote me on that.
In any case, when you find your bus, you hop on, forward your fare to the front and wait til you get to where you want to go, then ask the driver to let you off.
It seems as though they leave the side doors open while the bus is moving for easier passenger on and off, though there are some with doors closed. Maybe for longer trips.
I rode a couple of them when I was in Alexandria but haven't taken one yet here in Cairo. Hubby takes them every day to get back and forth to work. It's definitely cheaper than taking a taxi, which is what we have done so far.

I have yet to take the Metro, which runs both above and below ground, similar to BART I guess, which is our light rail in the Bay Area.
I'm looking forward to trying it, though I might not be so excited about it after having experienced the ride.
I hear that it's most often just packed and hot and not that nice. Though it can be a lot quicker than taking a taxi or bus when the roads are jammed, so it's a nice option anyways.
They also have at least a couple of cars that are reserved just for women riders, which is nice. I can't remember if it's the first couple of cars on the train. It seems like they changed it a year or so ago and I can't quite recall.
When I end up riding it I'll post about it. Not sure about pictures, we'll see.
There are some restrictions on taking pictures here but I think it's mostly about bridges, airports and government buildings?


Happy birtday to my Jane mom. :D
Seems we're both hitting "big" numbers this year.
Hope you have a wonderful day.