Sunday, April 19, 2009

Before and after

We had some chicken today for lunch.
Ahmed brought it from his parents house. I guess his mom gets the chicken and then puts all the spices/marinade on it for us so that we can just cook it, since our kitchen isn't so equipped here in our temp apartment.

Anyways, the chicken smelled sooooo good before it was cooked. I tried to pick out what the spices were but was having a hard time. It smelled a bit like onion, garlic and mustard and the marinade was yellow but I don't know what it was. Hubby thinks it might have been curry but I have no idea. I always thought curry was more spicy, and this wasn't too spicy. I mean, it wasn't hot spicy at all, just flavor spicy. But not too much at that.

It didn't taste the same as it smelled after it was cooked, but it did taste nice.
There is another half chicken with the same spice that we have yet to cook, and also some chicken with a different spice. Yum chicken!

I took some pictures of before and after.

This first picture is of the chicken as it came to us, in the bag, marinating.



Next is the chicken as it starts to cook on the grill.



And the last of the chicken pictures, is the very guilty monkey with what is left of the cooked chicken. We had put out all of the chicken and went to the kitchen to get the cabbage ready, and when we came back, this is all that was left!




I'm also putting up a picture of the cabbage, which had been soaking in lime juice, as I like the colors. Pretty. :D





The weather was a bit windy today. Since none of the windows or doors in this apartment actually fit right, when it's really windy you can hear it whistle through the window frames.
Should be about 89 tomorrow, and Tuesday and Wednesday are forecast to be mid 90's.
It's getting hot!

5 comments:

Shari said...

LOL - I love your chicken picture story! The spice COULD have been curry - it comes in different strengths I think. When I got in my car around 1:30 today (it had been sitting outside), the temp read 81! So it's starting to warm up here. However, we don't have the humidity, so the heat is more bearable. Nothing new with us - samo samo. Love--Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Curry isn't one spice, but a combination of spices, so it can be very different. Tumeric is what gives it the color. I'll send you my chicken curry recipe if I haven't already and you'd like it. No curry powder anywhere, just the ingredients for curry that you make into a paste with onions. Sauce has yogurt. It was a recipe my sister got from a Pakistani friend she worked with years ago. Quite yummy.

Melissa said...

Sure, send the recipe for the curry when you get a chance.
I had some Indian/Pakistani friends back in Pleasanton and they cooked traditionally, which was waaaaay too spicy (hot) for me, so I never asked for any of their recipes.

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I'll dig it out tomorrow and send it. It's not hot spicy, just spicy. No hot pepper involved which is good since I don't like things all that hot.

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Pakistani Chicken Curry
2 large onions
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. ginger
1 dessert spoon coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili
1 tsp. paprika
2.5 pounds chicken
4 oz. shortening
1 sm. stick cinnamon
2 bay leaves
1 lg. cardamom
salt to taste
1 cup plain yogurt
Dice 2 onions finely. Blend 1 onion with garlic in blender to make a paste. Add to this paste the tumeric, ginger, coriander, cumin, chili and paprika. Cut the chicken into pieces, remove the skin and wash. Heat the shortening and fry the other diced onion until golden brown. Lower heat and add bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamom. Fry for a minute (lid on). Remove lid and add paste, chicken and salt and fry for 3-5 minutes (lid on). Add yogurt and 1/2 cup water. Mix and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer gently for 25 to 30 minutes, till chicken is almost done. Remove lid and simmer 15-20 minutes more. Serve over rice.
Jane