Saturday, April 18, 2009

Monkey see....

Not much happened on Wednesday or Thursday. Friday was nice and actually almost busy!

We arrived at the parent's in law's house just before noon on Friday. Hubby went out for the noon prayers and I spent some time online. Lunch about 3 and then a nap for a couple of hours and then home.

After dropping our stuff at the apartment, we went for a walk to the grocery store. Ahmed hadn't been to this particular one before but knew of it by the name as there are 3 others or so here in Cairo. It was a bit of a walk. Over a mile I guess. Thankfully we took a taxi back as I was a bit wore out. Walking here is not the same as walking in the States. lol

We passed through what amounts to a kind of a red light district. There were a few clubs and I don't think they are exactly like a strip club type of place, but there is some nudity and alcohol is served and I don't know what actually goes on. I hope I never have to find out.

There was one area of the walk where we were passing an abandoned field type area. There were rushes (?) growing and I actually heard a cricket!! It was lovely and made me so happy to hear. You don't hear much by way or crickets in Cairo. At least not in any busy part of the city.

We stopped at another furniture store on the way and it was 3 stories of furniture, but the bottom floor was just office type furniture. Pretty much all of the furniture in the place was horrid. Totally not my taste at all. Much of the country here seems to be in love with furniture that looks like it belongs in Windsor Castle and I just can't stand it. Plus the prices at this place were way too high for the quality. The place we stopped the other night had much better items and for less cost. We will look at some other furniture places insha'Allah before deciding on anything. Furniture shopping is fun actually. And I can't wait to shop for some carpets, though they won't be like the ones you can get in Iran? I guess they have very nice carpets there but you can't import them and they cost an arm and a leg anyways. But, I'm sure we can find many nice rugs here too.

The grocery store itself was small by standards of something like Safeway but it was bigger than the little corner markets. They had a meat and deli/cheese department and then the usual kind of shelf items. Just kind of like a mini store I guess. They don't refrigerate eggs here, which freaks me out. They stamp a date that they were packed and then on the label it says they are good for 21 days from the date of the stamp. I know it must be okay, as the people here in Egypt are still alive, even after eating unrefrigerated eggs, but I don't feel particularly safe about it.
But, I wanted eggs so that we could make french toast. Yum. Just need to pick up some powdered sugar and we'll be set. I did bring a whole bottle of maple syrup with me. :D I don't think it's readily available here. Hopefully the bottle will last for some time.

I wish I could have packed more when coming, but it was expensive for luggage. I brought over some jelly belly's for hubby since he loves them, but we will run out soon enough. Maybe we can find them in Kuwait when we go there insha'Allah. They seem to cater to some wealthy people in the country in general, and I read that recently they put in a Dean & DeLuca which is some kind of upscale foody store.

I hope we will have some news about Kuwait soon but I guess it will be some time still. Hubby will have to go for a trip there soon to arrange some things business wise, and so I will be staying at his parent's house while he is gone. I hope he will only be gone for 3 or 4 days, but I have a feeling it might be more like 5 days. *whine*
Only real problem is the language barrier with his folks. His sister and brother speak English okay but of course they work during the day so it's not so helpful.
But, ya know... I'm sure I'll survive. lol

We should be going to City Stars soon insha'Allah, which is a big mall here. I believe it's 5 stories and looking at the website, it says there are over 640 stores! Wow that's a lot!
http://www.citystars.com.eg/citystars/starscentre/

I think I forgot to mention in my post about the micro-buses, that I actually like seeing them, as it reminds me of home. I know they aren't an American car, but they were so popular in the states and so when I see them I think of home. It feels kind of funny though, like "what did they bring our buses over here for"? Silly of me I know.

Below is a picture of the offending doorknob which bruised my hand, and me with monkey, who made the trip with me to Egypt and is a delightful housemate. In this picture we are on the balcony at Ahmed's parent's house.




7 comments:

Shari said...

The picture of you is GREAT! It's so good to SEE you, even if it isn't in person. You're looking real good, sweetie. The stores sound interesting; I hope you're finding the food you like in the markets. Love, Mom

Dad said...

You look well and in good spirits, Melissa, and I'm happy for that. The balcony looks idyllic also. After a month there have things become routine? Do you have enough to occupy your day? As Pris told me once, I am constantly doing and she was constantly being - so you know why I ask. :) I think you are more like Pris. We do enjoy any video or photo you send as I'm sure Michelle does too.

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Don't worry about the eggs. The 21 day thing is about right. Once they have been refrigerated you have to keep them in the fridge, but if they are fresh they are all right. When I first lived in San Francisco, there was a corner store, the only one within walking distance, where they had eggs unrefrigerated. That kind of freaked me out back then, but since raising my own chickens, I know you don't have to worry.

Shari said...

Eggs that haven't been refrigerated taste better, in my opinion.

Melissa said...

Things are a bit routine yes, though I expect it will change when we figure out where we're going to live.

About the eggs, thanks.
I put them in the fridge when we got home so there they'll stay til they're gone I suppose.
Ahmed had some last night and he's still alive, so that's a good sign!

Anonymous said...

I guess we're all learning something about eggs! I never knew that bit about the refrigeration.

Melissa said...

Me either!
:D
I still somehow feel safer with them in the fridge.
Too much scaring from the food industry I guess about food going bad when left out.