Monday, April 6, 2009

Slippery When Wet

Well, the saying really is true. At least if we're talking about my shower/tub thingy. I'm really not sure what to call it. It's not a full tub, but it's more than a shower. A shub? lol
Anyways, every time I use it I get a close call at some point and am always thankful to have managed to stay upright. Alhamdulillah.
What it really needs is some of those plastic stickers with the stubbly surface that you put down on the bottom. Hopefully we won't be here that much longer.

And eureka, we have light in the kitchen. All the time. lol
Ahmed came home last night with some device, which I have never seen before but which seems like an obvious and wonderful gadget, that lets you plug a light bulb into a plug socket.
So basically it's a little black plug, but on the side opposite the plug prongs, you screw a light bulb in. It's possible that electrically, maybe it's not the right thing to do. I don't know about wattages and all that, but it works and like I said the idea of it is great, so I am not complaining.
Ahmed said he has one at his old apartment that has an on/off switch, so that we don't have to leave it on all the time.

Hubby brought home a pizza tonight. As soon as I saw it my heart sank. I love pizza. I adore pizza. It's one of my favorite foods, but I've recently stopped eating tomatoes, and so I have to order pizza either without sauce, or with white sauce. I'm fine either way and it wasn't a problem in the States.
But here where we're living (I'm tempted to say "in Egypt", but that's not entirely fair), they don't seem to understand the concept of food without tomatoes or tomato sauce. We've ordered from several restaurants, and not just pizza but other foods as well, and whenever he orders with no tomatoes or sauce, it comes with tomatoes and or sauce. Dissapointing!!!!!!!!!
So I was sad when he opened the pizza tonight and he told me not to worry, that he ordered it without sauce, and then I saw it and it had sauce anyways.
So, I moped about it for some time and then while he was napping I had a bun with some "luncheon". lol
To me, the word luncheon means an event where other people are in attendance, and there is food served, either at a restaurant or even someone's house.
Here, the word luncheon means a particular kind of lunch meat. Or maybe it's several kinds. But lunch meat.
It looks like some kind of bologna, and who knows what's in it, as he brings it from the store sliced on a foam tray wrapped in plastic, but it doesn't taste exactly like bologna and it isn't half bad.
Though pizza would have been better!!

I finally put a new pair of contacts in today and was disappointed to find that the prescription doesn't seem to be right. I bought 100 bucks worth of contacts and they are essentially useless to me. I'm not sure what to do. It would be great if Kaiser would take them back and exchange them for me with my old prescription, which was a bit outdated but I could see better than with the new prescription, which makes things blurry and with which I can't read anything close at all, but neither can I read far away. lol
Squinting doesn't even help, and even if it did, I can't go around squinting all the time.
So, have to figure that out.

I have also come to the conclusion that wherever I put my nail clippers when I moved, they are not here in Egypt with me.
Oddly enough, I'm pretty put out about this. lol
They were the baby nail clippers that we got at Jake's baby shower, and it's not for that reason that I'm put out, it's just that I like them so much and they are so much easier for me to use than the normal sized ones.
I have looked through everything I brought with me at least twice and they are nowhere to be found. But I can't imagine what I would have done with them. I wouldn't have purposely left them behind.
I asked Ahmed if they had baby stores here and maybe we could find some new ones, and he said he will ask.
Insha'Allah I will find some new baby nail clippers soon.
:D

I guess that's enough of a whine for today.

I read some more about Kuwait today. I haven't been there, but the feeling I get is that it's... trying too hard to be Western. There are so many stores and restaurants in Kuwait that we had in the States, and so many shopping malls.
Part of the reason that I love Egypt (to date anyways, lol) is because it is not a cardboard cutout, with each store having the same thing as every other store, and all the restaurants serving the same horrible malnourishing food. There is such a wide variety here and so many little places and everything is... just different.
If Kuwait is trying to be like the States, and succeeding in any way, I have a feeling I will be disappointed.
I like the fact that there is not as much commercialization here, though of course it exists. Or maybe I don't get all of it since I don't know Arabic.
It just seems more like a little bit of everything here in Egypt, instead of a whole lot of the same thing.
I mean, ice cream is great, but if that's the only thing you get to eat, after a while even that will get dull.

Started reading the book To Kill A Mockingbird today. One of the few books I brought with me, and brought because it has been a favorite since I first read it back.....25 or so years ago.
After I started reading it the movie came to mind, and the monologue, and how lovely it is. I will have to find a copy to watch. Wonderful film.
That's someplace, Maycomb, that I could imagine living. Perhaps I would get bored there. Maybe it's the time I'm interested in more than the place itself.
It certainly seems like an odd statement coming on the heels of liking Cairo over the suburban States.
Hmmmm....
Anyways, I plan to enjoy the book insha'Allah.
Lets see how long I can make it last.

No comments: