Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bits and Pieces

Sunday afternoon but it feels like Monday or Tuesday.
Still haven't adjusted to the fact that weekends here are generally Friday and Saturday, not Saturday and Sunday. And since hubby only takes Friday off and works Saturday, that makes my week seem really off.

Took some pictures today. Took some the other day as well, but need to get my photo editing software going. I have a disc for an older version of Photoshop, but I seem to have misplaced the serial number, so I can't install it.
I know there are programs like Gimp, which is good for being free and all, but I'm not that familiar with it and I really just want to go in and do what I want, not have to learn a new application.
So, when the pictures will get posted is anyone's guess, but insha'Allah this week.

The light in the kitchen is out. It worked the first few days we were here. Then it popped one day. Hubby replaced the bulb, but it only lasted a day or two before popping again. At that point I figured it was bad wiring or some such thing. I think we put one more bulb in before giving up. So for the most part we have a very dark kitchen. There is a window in there, but it only opens up to the interior airway shute thingy on the inside of the building, so there isn't really much helpful light coming from there. We can leave the far hall area light on, but it doesn't go beyond the doorway of the kitchen, so... it's just dark.
Of course, if this was the kitchen in the apartment we will get to live in for more long term, we would do something about it, but seeing as there isn't a whole lot of cooking going on anyways, and we won't be here too much longer insha'Allah, it's workable.
Hubby said that incandescent bulbs often burn like that and aren't as reliable as fluorescent bulbs. I agree that fluorescent bulbs should last longer, but almost all of the incandescent bulbs that I used in the States lasted a full life, rather than just popping after a short time. I have a feeling that the electrical system here is overloaded in general, and that the wiring might not always be up to code.

Ahmed's mom has been doing my laundry. We have a washer here but it's the round type that you just hook the hose up. I'm sure we could use it, but there doesn't seem to be a line to hang the clothes on out on the balcony, and since the shower doesn't have any kind of curtain or rod, we can't hang clothes from there either.
Anyways, whenever I get my clean clothes from hubby's mom, they smell like the detergent she uses. It isn't bad, but you know I'm pretty picky about detergents. So while it's not bad, I'd prefer something with no smell at all. In any case, I now associate this smell with hubby's mom. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. lol
I really don't mind the fact that dryers aren't typically used here, except for one item, and that is towels. Hard crusty towels aren't nice. At all.
However, if that is my worst lot in life, I think I will manage to survive. Alhamdulillah.

I have been drinking bottled water. It appears (for now) that that's how things will remain. I could try and adjust myself to the tap water, seeing as how I brush my teeth with it anyways, however the smell and taste of the water leave a little something to be desired. I think it comes from chlorinating the water? It smells like bleach in any case and I have heard before that that is what they do. I guess if you grow up with it you are used to it? Maybe boiling will take the taste/smell out, I'm not sure. If that's the case I don't mind boiling it, as buying bottled water all the time is a pain. This will be something to be considered with a better equipped kitchen.

After reading back, I realize this post sounds like a whole bunch of griping, but I'm really okay with all this stuff, just writing about it is all. So lest you think otherwise, I am not in a huff over here about things not being perfect or the way that I'm used to them.
If you can't adjust yourself to the fact that things won't be like you're used to here, than I guess you won't last for long.

I started doing some research today on Kuwait. Still getting info, but found a few interesting quick facts to share.

Taken from the CIA factbook site

Kuwait is slightly smaller than New Jersey
pop: 2,691,158 note: includes 1,291,354 non-nationals
non-Kuwaitis represent about 80% of the labor force

I have some information saved to read offline that I will get to in the next few days insha'Allah.

The last two days have been what appeared to be dusty, but I'm not sure. Hubby says Saturday was dusty but not like normal dusty. This morning appeared to be dusty but then cleared up some but was still not really clear.
Dreading the first dust storm but insha'Allah it will be okay.

Got some sweets/snacks from the bakery the other day. Or Ahmed did anyways. There are three kinds. One I'm gaga over, one I'm okay with after I scrape off the seeds, and the third I didn't like at all, so Ahmed can have all of those. lol

I have two mosquito bites. Both on my right wrist. The first one I got, just a couple of days ago is itching like crazy, but I think just because it comes in contact with alot of stuff. The second one I got just last night and it's not itching too much yet.
Seeing as I've been here for two and half weeks, two mosquito bites isn't so bad.
Though it could just be because I haven't been outside much. lol
The ones I got bit by were inside, though they have been appropriately killed by the bug killer in the house, whose name is Ahmed. :D

Okay, enough random stuff for one post. Pictures coming soon!
Much love

3 comments:

Shari said...

As usual, enjoyed reading your descriptive blog entry. You must have re-washed Jacob's clothes every time he came home from our house because I LIKE to use nice smelling laundry "helpers." Re mosquito bites...I've found that if you can refrain from scratching them, they will finally stop itching. The more you scratch, the more and longer they itch. I ordered a Kozy Collar today thru Amazon.com as the one I've had for years finally started "leaking" rice. LOL You had to have been there, but the other evening I got up off the couch and there was all this "stuff" where I'd been sitting - "Did that come from me?" I asked myself. LOL Dad and I figured it where the rice pieces (not easily identifiable as rice) were coming from pretty quickly, though. Love, Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I never use scented things either. I always disliked them. Hate to sit next to someone with perfume or other stinky stuff on. I read an article about how if you could smell it you were breathing in the particles of scent and how some of them are just plain dangerous, especially to those with allergies. That helped to explain why I found them uncomfortable to be around.

Melissa said...

I never had such a problem until I quit smoking. It seems strange but perhaps understandable. When all the crud cleared out of my body, it was more receptive (sensitive) to what was around. It used to be pretty extreme, but it's gotten less which is a good thing, I think.