Thursday, April 23, 2009

Inside Outside Upside Down

That is the name of a book that I had when I was a little girl. It was about the Berenstain bears.
I don't know why I think of this stuff when relating the title to what's in the post, but... yeah.

So, last night we went for a walk down to the bakery Le Poire (French for 'the pear' I believe).
They have wonderful pastries of all sorts. We went there when I was in Egypt last time, when we were staying in Alexandria.

As an aside, we passed by some of the "red light" district again last night, and this time we were on the same side of the street as one of the places, and I was just dying to get a look in the door, but of course, everything conspired to keep my prying eyes otherwise occupied! There was too many people walking around right then and I didn't want to bump into anyone, I had to watch the sidewalk as we were right at a curb, and there was traffic as well.
I did manage a quick peek and only saw some posters on the wall, and all they showed, if I remember correctly, was faces of some women.
For now, what goes on inside will remain a mystery. It might be a good thing if it always remained so, but I am indeed a curious woman.

Back to the pastries, which were delicious and if you are ever in Egypt, please let me take you to Le Poire and buy you something.
As another aside, hubby says there is a better bakery, called Royal Bakery, but he doesn't think it is a chain. We'll stop by soon so I can compare. What a hard life I have.
lol
So, back to pastries from Le Poire.
Or pictures rather.
(remember you can click on any picture and get a bigger version - I'm trying to keep them smallish here so that the load time isn't too long for anyone)

Here is the outside of the box that they packed everything into. Very cute.
(This is the outside)



Next we have a shot of everything that was in the box. This does not include the two croissants and two cinnamon rolls, one each of which are now resting comfortably somewhere inside me. Breakfast was good this morning!!!
(This is the inside, and there is no upside down!)



Next we have a close up of the middle round cookie thingy, which I ate just a quarter of. It was really good. Chocolate cookie, some kind of chocolate filling, and a chocolate glaze on the top. It was light and airy and yummy.



Next we have the piece of chocolate cake that can be seen in the bottom right corner of the shot above which shows everything inside the box. Hubby ate it, as it had nuts and I'm not so crazy about nuts. It looked too rich too, with the frosting stuff on the top. Very rich and chocolaty!



Last, but let it not be said least, is the piece of white cake with cream filling, which my husband has very distinctly let me know is not called cake but is actually called Mille-feuille (yes we had to look up the spelling).
This cake was so good.
SO GOOD!
I was thinking about this cake for hours after I ate it.
Thankfully, there is more left!
:D :D :D



Not sure if I'll post any pictures of the rest of the stuff as we eat it, but maybe I'll let you know how good it is.


We might go to the city stars mall on Friday insha'Allah. I was telling hubby how many stores it had. I still can't believe how many.
I hope we don't get too worn out.
I also hope we can find some nice inexpensive things to buy.
Like maybe some new hijabs.
:D

I went to bed pretty late last night. It was around 2:30. I was just drifting off to sleep around 3:15 when hubby decides to wake up and get out of bed. He told me to cover my eyes while he turned the light on, then proceeded on a mosquito hunt.
He was successful, but not before both of us got bit.
I got 4 on my leg and one on my arm.
Itch Itch Itch!
Thankfully we've been pretty mosquito free so far, alhamdulillah!

3 comments:

Shari said...

Okay...so now my mouth is watering...and I just started a diet (yeah, another one) yesterday! The light and air chocolaty thingy might be a mousse type filling. I thought the last one you pictured was a lemon bar - it looked a lot like one. But not, huh? Dad's at the gym and I'm meeting him after for coffee. Have a good evening (since it's after 6 pm there). Love - Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I remember Inside Outside Upside Down as Dr. Seuss. I guess I'll have to dig it out and check.

Melissa said...

Actually it was not a mousse type filling, it was... well, I'm not sure. But it was good. lol
And the cake stuff, not actually like cake at all, but not exactly like phyllo dough, but something in between the two. Still, yum!


I knew the author for the Berenstain bears book was not Seuss but I had to look up the author - it's Stan and Jan Berenstain! Imagine that.