Friday, April 10, 2009

Daydreamer

Today is the perfect day it seems for daydreaming.
This feeling has persisted for several hours.
Now that I think about it, perhaps daydreaming isn't the right term.
But I feel sweetly stuck somehow in a past that never was.

We are at parent's in law's apartment.
I love going out on their balcony and listening to the birds.
It's also much more quiet than the apartment we live in.
It's rather peaceful to sit out on the balcony here.

After we got here, I went out and stood on the balcony.
It was lovely to feel the sun coming down on me.
The weather is just perfectly spring. There is a light breeze in the air but it is warm enough not to need much extra covering.
Perfect weather for a nap out on the back porch, or the kind of day to have a snooze in a hammock if you have one.

While I was standing there on the balcony, I started to feel my childhood, but...
not my childhood.
My childhood as if I had lived my life in Egypt.
I felt fleeting memories and impressions of childhood experiences that never were.
It felt so very dreamy and delicious.
Remembering a childhood and feeling that happiness of memories that come from the innocence of children.

I don't understand my "call" to this country I'm in. But it speaks to me.
Maybe my life before was only part of a dream.
Maybe this is when I will wake up.
That is not to say I don't value my past 39 years.
Or that it wasn't important.
Or that I don't love the people in my life up until now.
But for whatever reason....I feel so awake here, and interested in life.

On the drive over, I was thinking about how much I wish that my friends and family could experience even just a few days here in Egypt.
Knowing the people in my life as I do, I try to imagine their responses to the every day experiences here and it really kind of makes me smirk.
In particular, thinking about people's reactions to driving in traffic here.
It's pretty crazy and it's hard to believe at first, coming from the States, but you adjust to it and it seems normal after some time.
There are generally no seat belts (at least in the older cars, which most are, at least in terms of taxis) and you will find people crammed in all manner of cars or on motor bikes. You can find a whole family on a scooter, no helmets.

I wish for you all the beautiful feelings that I'm having, and a chance to experience new things.

4 comments:

Shari said...

Beautiful prose, Melissa. You sound like a woman in love. (Yay) -- Love, Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I'm so glad you like Egypt. I've had several friends who went there on vacation and though they liked the historical sites and enjoyed the trip, they were happy to leave the heat, and the noise. Just didn't suit them. One was even named Nefertitti (Archaeologist father) and was so excited about going, but was happier back in Philadelphia.
Jane

Melissa said...

Well, I can't say I love the noise, but hopefully we'll find a quieter apartment and that will make a big difference.
As to the heat - I haven't experienced that yet, so maybe I'll be singing a different tune in a couple of months. lol
We'll see.

Marcouiller Trimble said...

i want to visit!