Thursday, April 2, 2009

In the Summertime.....

when the weather's high,
you can stretch right up and touch the sky

It's a beautiful day here. Not exactly summer but the weather is certainly fine.
I am now sitting out on the balcony at hubby's parent's house.
There are birds chirping in the tree just next to the building. I'm not sure what kind of birds they are but I always like to hear them.

I was thinking today, on our taxi ride here, about how much I love to see the differences between the States and Egypt.
Every little street we go down, my head is craned to try to get a look and see what I can find. From the women walking with baskets and other things balanced on their heads, to the little fruit stands all over with large gourds or other fruits hanging in sacks, to the men walking down the street in the galabyas calling out for you to buy their lemons or foul. Even just to watching the people riding in the micro buses, or crossing the street.
I mean, life is life anywhere, people need to make a living, to eat, to make friends and enjoy their life as best they can.
So even though things are so different here, I guess they really are the same.
I wonder if I will get tired of watching or just start not to notice the differences at some point. I would think it would be inevitable, but who knows. Time will tell insha'Allah.

Sometimes I feel like I could get lost here. Like I'm in a novel from days gone by, when things were more genteel. When everything seemed easier somehow, at least by the novels. Am I living someone's novel? Or is this my life?

2 comments:

Marcouiller Trimble said...

really liking reading your blog. it is great to write down things when you move to a new country. i wish i had done the same when i moved here to belgium. maybe you could start adding some photos????? xox

Melissa said...

Thanks.
=)
Yes, I really need to take some photos. I just haven't been out of the house much in the two weeks I've been here.
Hopefully I'll get to taking photos soon.