Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday part 1

Well... lets see....

Friday night I came home and my shoes finally came that I ordered from Clark's on superbowl Sunday. They fit well and it's like walking in the most comfy slippers, so I'm happy about that. Other than that, just did housework, nothing towards moving.

Saturday I managed to get the car in for an oil change. I have a couple of people interested in buying it and it needed (possibly still needs) a little bit of work.
They replaced both the air and oil filter I believe, and also the windshield wiper blades.
It's possible my spark plugs are needing replacement, but we shall see.
The plan today is to get it washed (even though it will rain) and vacuum out the inside.

Jake and I are both off tomorrow for the holiday and I think that will be a good day to start making decisions in his room.

I was thinking yesterday about the fact that when I leave here and get on the plane for Egypt insha'Allah, I will not have any keys on me. No house key, no car key, no desk keys, no keys at all. And it made me feel a bit.... strange. Like I would have no home. Which is probably silly but if you think about it, when was the last time you could say you didn't have any keys? They are a symbol I suppose, and one I guess we don't think much about. But what do they represent? Ownership? Belonging? Hmmm....

3 comments:

Zahra said...

As salamu alaikum Melissa,

Ooh good point about the keys!
Definitely not having keys would make you feel like a traveler on a sojourn in this temporary life, right?

But yeah, I think keys are a symbol for belonging and ownership. They represent whatever little us as human beings have been given from our Creator, but sometimes instead of using them as a tool to thank Him we relish in our independence too much. That's how I feel in my new apartment at least. I need to be more thankful and stop jingling those keys so much since life is short. :) Hehe.

-Z

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

...but just how long will you really be without keys. I suspect you'll start collecting them as soon as you arrive in Egypt...

Melissa said...

Well... maybe just a key to our new apartment when we get it. That's all I can really think of.
I guess I'll be pretty excited about it though. Silly but... :D