Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Frying eggs

Well, it's half past noon and it's 104 degrees. Little bit toasty. I guess it will peak in a few hours time, I hope not getting too much hotter.

Not much going on here. Been re-reading the Harry Potter books (for the 3rd time since I first read them) in preparation of the next movie coming out on July 15th. I'm really excited about it. I told hubby that he should take me to see the movie for my birthday. :D

No further news on moving to hubby's aunt's apartment, or any other apartment.
I don't think Kuwait will happen for a while. I would like to go visit Kuwait but we shouldn't be spending that amount of money for the moment I guess. Two airplane tickets and a hotel and food and blah blah. It can wait.

My MIL is getting lunch sorted in the kitchen. I saw her cooking some black eyed peas earlier. Not sure what she's making. I also saw a small chicken thawing out.
Thankfully, there is still some chocolate and vanilla ice cream to be had later on today. I am sure I will want it. It's tooooo hot.

Will start searching for somewhere here where I can buy some Cetaphil lotion. I'm doubtful about finding it but you just never know!
I belong to an online group of foreign women who have moved to Egypt. It's a great way to get information as some of the members have been living here for quite a few years and are very knowledgeable.
There are quite often the same brands here of things you would find in the States, however they are manufactured in Egypt, and the formulations are not the same as in the States, so even though you think you're buying the same product, many times you actually are buying something different.

I've started making a mental list that I will soon commit to a text file, of things that I want to bring back to Egypt after I eventually visit the States insha'Allah.
I wish there wasn't a weight limit. I could bring a lot more back. Or I wish that it wasn't so darn expensive to ship things from the States to Egypt. It costs an arm and a leg, as I'm sure my mom can attest to. (mom, how are you getting along with just one arm and leg? lol)

It is definitely an adjustment living here. I mean, it is a third world country, a developing nation or what not.
But they do have many comforts here.
Things just... aren't quite up to the same standards as in the States.
Not that everything in the States is perfect, and myself having lived in a very modern and generally metropolitan area, perhaps experienced things differently than if I had lived in say, some small town in the middle of the country.
I'm just used to the order and the rules and things of the States, and there really isn't so much of the order and rules observed here, at least in the day to day things. Of course, that is also partly what makes life so interesting here.
Seeing as how I like "order" so much, it's a difficult thing for my brain to work on, but I'm working on it all the same. To somehow merge the two worlds, the one I knew and grew up in, and the one that I inhabit now.
I hope it's possible to have the best of both worlds.
We shall see insha'Allah.

Oh yeah, I'm hoping to test out the "hot enough to fry an egg" thing soon. Will update if/when I do. lol

3 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

When I lived in Philadelphia, the fry and egg on the sidewalk thing was a regular part of the weather forecaster's duties when the temperature went over 100. And, yes, it usually worked.
I find it amazing that you mother in law does so much cooking when it is so hot. When it's that hot here I either cook something early in the morning to be reheated in the microwave later or just eat cold stuff. I hate to heat the house up unnecessarily and never have all that much appetite anyway when it's really hot.
Jane

Shari said...

Do you want me to send you some Cetaphil? Do you use the cream or the lotion? Our dermatologist turned us on to the cream and I get the HUGE jars of it at Costco. We also use the Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. And yes, it did cost an arm and a leg to mail that box to you. Maybe if we just sent smaller boxes more often we could retain the rest of our upper and lower extremities! LOL It was around 93 here yesterday with a gentle breeze and very little humidity. Did I tell you that Dad has planted a garden? The little beans are poking up through the dirt - he planted those + green onions and lettuce. Until I got my nose right down to the dirt yesterday, I couldn't see them coming up, but finally pointed out a green something - woo hoo - a green onion! Yay! The lettuce has yet to make an appearance. He put in tomato plants and zuccini plants, too. We're both out there several times a day watching the veggies grow. lol -- Love, Mom

Londi said...

Do you ever get a cool season over there, or is it always hot? I love hot weather, but that's a bit much! Kinda like Vegas was. Way too hot.