Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A grand day out

And a lovely time was had by all....
lol

We had a really nice time out today and I think it's the first time I've been in air conditioning in about a month! Phew it was so nice!!!!

The plan was to go to Arcadia mall and to a movie. It turns out that Arcadia mall does not have a theater inside, but the big building next door did, so it all worked out.

On the drive to the mall, the windows were down in the cab, and the hot air was blowing uncomfortably at me in the backseat, when a bee flew in and landed on my lap!
Holy smokes it scared the bejeepers outta me and I was like HONEY!!! HONEY!!!
He was sitting up in the front seat with their family's driver, and I had frantically tried to shoo the thing off of me.
I must have succeeded but I have no idea where it went to and for several minutes afterward I kept checking different areas of my clothing to make sure I didn't just flick it somewhere else onto myself. Sigh. lol

Both the Arcadia mall and the mall/building that the theater in had air conditioning.
Pure heaven I tell you.

We bought the tickets for the move at about 2:45 or so and the movie started at 4:15, so that gave us time to walk around the Arcadia mall and also have a bite to eat.
There are pictures, but I haven't done anything with them yet (though they came out good!), and I'll post them tomorrow insha'Allah.
I had some breadsticks and a 7-up from Little Ceasears and hubby had a chicken sandwich and also some of the breadsticks. They were quite yummy.
Also, we had a view of the Nile and Zamalek (island on the Nile) from where we were eating. Despite the fact that it was noisy inside full of teens/twenty somethings, it was still relaxing sitting there.

We also went to another branch of the furniture store Habitat and looked around. The mall was interesting in that it seemed to have a floor dedicated to furniture, a floor dedicated to clothes, etc., etc.

Well, it was finally time to head to the theater. In Egypt, you pick the seats that you want when you buy the ticket, and then you have to sit in that seat. They don't just go in and pick whatever seat they want after they get inside where the seats are.
Also, for the coming attractions, they had um... it was like they showed a piece of paper with the film name written on it before showing the preview. Like someone at the theater hand wrote all the titles for each one and then they just showed it. It was quite strange.

The theater we were in was quite empty, only 9 people including hubby and us.
Also, the sound system was set very LOUD! Holy smokes, it was so loud that it was vibrating my body in some of the scenes. lol
We saw Terminator Salvation. I had thought they would have some other movies, well, they did, but the only two they had that we were kinda interested in were Terminator and the new Transformers. I'm not sure if they had already shown the Star Trek and Angels and Demons or not.

So, nice action movie, nice air conditioning. Nice nice nice.
Oh, another weird thing they do when they show movies here, is they have an intermission. Not just for long movies, for any movie. They just stop it at some point and then people can get up and do whatever. Go use the bathroom or smoke or get some food. I mean in theory it's fine, but it interrupts the movie and you should use the potty before it starts! lol

After we finished, we walked across the street to the Nile and then walked along the Nile for a way til we went to Zamalek and walked around a little bit.
I have been wanting to walk around Zamalek for some time, but I'm not so sure we were in the area that has all the nice stores and such. Insha'Allah we will go another time and walk around some.

Then we took a taxi home.
Back to the heat.
lol

I'm probably leaving something out, but it's hot and it's dinner time and so I'm off!

No comments: