Friday, June 5, 2009

It's a new day, it's a new dawn

Another very hot day here, I guess it was over 100. I think the summer will only get hotter, though there will be days where it is under 100 insha'Allah.

I was out on the balcony taking a video this morning when the batteries in my camera pooped out on me. It seems the other batteries that I thought were charged were not, in addition to the several that already needed to be charged, so today was a day of charging batteries. At least this morning was. This afternoon I got some shots of mom making maashi, which is stuffed veggies. I'll post those sometime in the next few days. I also still have the veggies with bechamel sauce to post, as well as a few other food pics.

Still going strong on LOTR. a good ways into the second half of the first book. I imagine that I'll finish it today.

My sister in law has a friend/work colleague over and they are working on a 30 page paper that her friend needs to do towards her Masters degree.
Her friend is very nice and offered to take me around on a tour of some sites in Egypt after some studies are over, in about a month. It should be nice insha'Allah.

Hubby is shopping today in Kuwait. Or at least window shopping. I know he has many things he wants to buy for himself. I let him know it would be in his best interests to bring me something. lol
We actually discussed it before he left for the trip and he already had a couple of things that he might get me. We will see what happens.

First pic is of some veggies that mom had sitting on the little table in the kitchen. Not sure why she had them in this lid but I thought the combination was pretty. The bell pepper is on the miniature side, close to the size they use for making maashi, and the carrot is actually thinner at the top than many of them I see, which are quite fat at the top and rather short. Maybe this is how carrots look naturally?



Also on the table were some zucchini in a plastic bag.



This last picture is from today. Mom made some little cakes. They are from a box but I'm sure they'll taste fine. They certainly smelled good baking in the oven.



The power went out three or four times yesterday, but only for a minute or three each time. It hasn't caused me any trouble, but I can imagine that it could cause some grief, depending on what you were doing. Since I'm always using a laptop for a computer, and it's always either charged or charging when it gets low, I don't have to worry about the power like if I was using a desktop computer.
Anyways I guess it is fairly common for the power to go out in the summer, and it's no wonder with the increased a/c usage and the number of people living in this city.
There is not enough water, enough power, enough jobs, enough of a lot of things.
Alhamdulillah for what I and my family here have.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Your pictures - even though they're just of food - are very artistic. Which reminds me of the time we had put out snail bait and we came home to see the shells arranged to spell "H E L P" !! I still laugh about that. That, too, was artistic. LOL It's not hot here - we've been having thunderstorms for the past few days and temps have been in the mid 60's to low 70's - down into the 40's at night. Perfect! Dad and I are going to the show now - will see "Up." -- Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Yes I still remember that picture. I showed it to my sister in law and brother in law the other day.
Well, I have a copy of it online that I showed them anyways.
lol