Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pigeon you say?

I went into the kitchen this morning just as my MIL and the house cleaner lady were starting to stuff little birds. I thought at first maybe they were like cornish game hens or something, but no, no hens. Pigeon. 15 of them to be precise. Filled with a cooked mixture of pasta (something like orzo?), onion, pigeon livers and oil.
Um.... Yum?
lol
Well, I took a goodly amount of pictures. But I'm not done and I won't post them til tomorrow.
After they were stuffed with the pasta mixture, and then the heads stuck inside (for what reason I can't fathom), mom sewed up the ends to keep everything inside.
There was a big pot of broth on the stove that they were going to be put into. Not sure exactly what was in that pot but I did see onion and cardamom pods. They also added something that looked like little pieces of dried honey, but they called it mustique. Or something. No idea what it was.
Anyways, I don't think I'm having pigeon, particularly after seeing their little heads.
lol
I think mom made some chicken for me. Thank God for chicken.

The spraying of the room with bug spray did not go exactly as I had wanted and I was less than happy about it but oh well.
We did not get bit that night, but I can't say I slept all that well anyways.
Last night there was no spray and we just left the door closed and it was fine. A little bit toasty, but not too bad and the fan was on as it is every night.
As long as it doesn't get too hot/humid, it's okay like that, but when the weather gets too bad, even a fan doesn't help unless you open the doors/windows, which is when the mosquitoes come inside.

I sent a list to my mom today of things I am hoping she will be able to ship to me.
I wish it didn't cost so much to send things or I'd have put more on the list.
Which reminds me, speaking of seeds for planting, sunflower seeds!! :D

Tonight it seems that my MIL, SIL (mother in law, sister in law) and myself are going to one of hubby's cousins house for something. I think to drop something off. Or pick something up. Not sure how long we'll be there. We're going sometime around 6 or 7 I think and it takes about 45 minutes or so to get there.
Hmmm....

Then tomorrow morning the three of us will again go out, this time to get hair cuts.
Should be interesting. I don't want that much cut, but need a couple inches off.
Hopefully things will turn out well!

Hubby has started the process to look for apartments here for us, since we won't be moving to Kuwait for at least a little bit, and living with the in-laws is... well... of course not ideal.
I love my new family, but I think I would even have trouble living with my own parents for a month.
lol
I mean, you know... space and all that.
Plus, as an adult, I think it's harder to live with your parents. Boundaries or expectations or something. Who knows.
Maybe I'm just fussy and picky.
:D

I'm not sure that we have any plans for Friday (Ahmed's Saturday), though I may finally try baking something. Just not sure if it will be something chocolate, or something simple like snickerdoodles. Hmmm.....

Pictures tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I think I'd skip the pigeons too. Yuck. Other than feeding them in the park in Philadelphia, my only real experience with pigeons was in zoology class when my slightly crazy professor jumped out the window onto the roof to shoot a pigeon so we could see the fresh lungs which we couldn't in our dissections - and once I've dissected something it no loner has any appeal as dinner, no matter how long ago I did it.
Good luck with finding an apartment and I hope this one has a better kitchen so you can do some cooking - and a grocery store close by so you can shop without making a long expedition.
Jane

Melissa said...

lol, you certainly had your fair share of interesting teachers. :D

About the apartment, thanks. I will be able to see this one before we make a decision, and hubby already knows now how important the kitchen, and screens on windows are. lol
Not sure we'll manage to live near one of the super size grocery stores, but there are medium sized ones that should do for the most part.