Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fish out of water

I feel like I should be a fish with this humidity. It's really disgusting.
lol

Hubby came home yesterday and I was soooooooo happy to see him!
We spent a lot of time just sitting and talking and catching up.
He brought me some nice baking stuff so hopefully I'll be baking soon.
He also bought himself a nice "toy". He says it's for business, and of course it is a business tool, but it's also a play tool. lol
I can't blame him, they're fun, and it's his money, so ya know, whatever makes him happy!

Mom made maashi yesterday, but this kind wasn't filled veggies, it was filled grape leaves that she rolls up with the rice filling inside. Personally I don't like grape leaves so I skipped them. But hubby more than made up for me not eating any. By far. lol
There were also what they call canneloni, though I'm not sure by technical definition that that is what they are. In any case, they were little round doughs that she cooks, kind of like a crepe only a bit thicker I guess, and these ones she had filled with a ground beef mixture and rolled up and then fried. Well, it was ground beef with some onion (I think) but there was a flavor I couldn't place at first and when I asked what it was, they said it was cinnamon. I was so blown away by this combination and it was SO GOOD! Really I was so surprised. It was almost sweet but not quite, but kind of. lol
She also made maashi today, today's version being a very thin slice of beef, rolled around peas and carrots, then individually wrapped in foil and baked, and then after they are all baked, she cooks them in a sauce. Unfortunately, I wasn't so thrilled with the sauce, which had curry and some other spices in it.

I asked hubby how long we would be here before we move to Kuwait insha'Allah.
At first he had been telling me it could be a couple of months, but today I asked him, how long will it be til you know when? Like.... There should be a cut off to say if things are moving fast enough or not or if we will put the move off or what have you. So he said that in 2 weeks, if things are not looking well, we will get a place here of our own in Egypt, instead of staying for months at mom and dad's house.
I was immensely happy to hear that, though of course, when my hubby says two weeks, it could be more like a month. lol
It isn't through any fault of his, he just likes to give the best most optimistic answer, and of course life isn't always working out like we think it will.
Still, the thought of having a/c sooner that I had thought was very welcome.
Insha'Allah I'll make it through however long it takes til we move, wherever we move to.

It's nice to hear him talk about Kuwait, as he really does like it there, though things have changed some in the 15 years that he's been away. But I love listening to hubby talk when he is really excited about something. It makes me excited too, and so now I am waiting eagerly for news of when/if we will move.
One of his cousins who lives there (he has 4 cousins living there) wants to help get me a job there, though I'm not sure that I want to work straight off. It could help us decide if we can move or not, if I'm bringing in money, but of course it will be an adjustment and all since it's a new country.
Everyone always assumes that if you can speak English that you will want/take a job as an English teacher. Which doesn't appeal to me AT ALL. It isn't that I hate kids, but I'm not great at teaching things, and quite honestly don't want the responsibility of teaching a whole class. It's daunting enough trying to teach your own children things. lol
In any case, she told hubby for me to get my CV/resume ready and send to her and she would see what she could find for me.

I would definitely appreciate living so close to the sea. I would love to have a house at the ocean some day, but who knows if that some day will ever come, and if the closest I can get in the meantime is an apartment by the Red Sea, I could be doing a whole lot worse.
Though, of course, it's too hot during the day for the most part to go out to the sea. But at night or early morning, or during the "winter", it is alright.

The one things that has struck me about Kuwait, and one of the reasons in my "not thrilled about moving there" column, is that from the pictures and videos I have seen, there is no character to the country.
In respects similar to the US in places where you have all the same grocery and shopping center stores. Like everything looks the same and there is no individuality. That is something that I truly love about Egypt. Sure there are some chain stores here, but for the most part, everything is individual. Different. Unique. I feel like I will never run out of things to explore or look at or take pictures of here, no matter how long we live here. But I don't get that feeling from Kuwait at all. And hubby agreed when I told him how I felt. He said that only the older part of the city still was kind of okay.
I mean, the new buildings are pretty and all, just... there is nothing special about them. You can find a similar tall flashy building in any modern city.
Anyways, we shall see how it feels/looks when I actually get there insha'Allah.

Alright, finally I'll post the pictures that I took of one of the casseroles that my mother in law made. It had veggies and a cream sauce. She calls it bechamel sauce.

So this first picture is of the veggies cooking. Zucchini and carrots.
They are spiced with what appears to be pepper and I'm assuming salt as well.



After they are done cooking, she puts them into this round pan, and puts about half of the bechamel sauce on them, just enough to cover them.



To the rest of the bechamel, she adds two eggs.



And then she pours that mixture on top of the veggies.



This is the finished product. Unfortunately, taken in the dining room where there is little light, and I had to use the flash, so it doesn't look that great.
But, it was supremely tasty.



I have a bunch more food pictures but this is enough for today I guess.

5 comments:

Shari said...

Okay...you left me hanging... what's the "business toy" Ahmed bought? LOL The veggie dish with bechamel sauce sounds interesting. I've had meat dishes here with bechamel sauce, but have never made it myself. I'm making stuffed green peppers for dinner tomorrow - do you want the recipe? Dad loves it. It's raining today. I was driving the old cad and couldn't find the windshield wipers for a few minutes - LOL. I was running around in a pasture yesterday taking pictures of 3 horses (beautiful animals) for a friend yesterday. She wants to give note cards to the owner for her birthday. The horses were very friendly; at one point I was trying to get a shot of one horse and the other came up behind me and nuzzled my neck - scared the heck out of me as I wasn't expecting it! LOL John and Barbara - both of whom saw it coming - really got a bang out of it. I'll be interested to hear what you bake first. --Love, Mom

Shari said...

I browsed a few Bechamel recipes and the spice appears to be nutmeg. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me!

Londi said...

That finished dish looks for all the world like scalloped potatoes!!

Melissa said...

Mom, sure about the recipe for the stuffed bell peppers.
I'm sure the horse pictures turned out great. :)
I don't think my MIL's bechamel recipe has much besides milk and flour and egg. Maybe yogurt but I'm not positive. There is definitely no nutmeg in it.
They tell me the name of a lot of foods she makes and while they resemble the technical food, it seems mostly that they just resemble and aren't really what the name would suggest. *shrug*

I wouldn't mind some scalloped potatoes actually, but the potatoes here, at least the ones that I've had, aren't that tasty. Little to no flavor at all.
I don't think they have the little red potatoes here, which is a shame because they are so lovely, but I will try to hunt out some of the smaller white ones, as they are so buttery and creamy and yummy.