Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The grump!

Well, I am hot and sweaty and grumpy this evening, so you are just going to get some pictures.

I did get pictures of mom making a dish today but I will post those tomorrow I think.

So, first is a picture of the chocolate bitay (like a chocolate croissant) that I was talking about the other day. Not a great picture but it at least gives you an idea.
And, I have to say, they are VERY tasty.



Next up we have something that I haven't tried, and don't plan to.
They were brought/bought by the lady who helps to clean the house here.
Apparently, they are made with molasses and also have peanuts in them somewhere, (though I'm guessing ground?) and also some other ingredients I'm sure. They are hard sticks with a hole down through the middle.
It took me a while to figure out, when my brother in law was telling me that they had peanuts, what he meant, since he called them bean nuts. Because in Arabic they don't have the letter p, p's and b's here are often confused. It happens to almost everyone and they shouldn't feel bad for it at all. It just leads to some confusion on my part at times as to what is meant.



Here we have the cookies, or biscuits as they call cookies here, that I have become addicted to. They seem a bit like shortbread cookies? They are very buttery with a hint of vanilla. I usually eat several a day. And yes, those are my hips you hear expanding.
They have a cellophane wrapping over them which might give a slightly odd look in the picture.



Last is a picture of where I hang out at for most of the day.
Generally on the computer.
Sometimes I go into the bedroom and can occasionally get some unsecured wifi from someone around here. But mostly I'm on the couch.
It is not exactly comfortable. At all. In any sense. Except for in the sense that it's probably more comfortable than the floor. Maybe.
Not to say anything bad about my in laws. At all.
The couch just isn't made for being comfortable. I guess they make furniture here to entertain or to look "nice". Not for any comfort.



The sun has now fallen below the horizon, which means it's time for the mosquitoes to come out and start attacking me. Which means it's time to put on my long sleeves and socks, even though it's 93 degrees and we've no a/c.
Yeah, color me happy.

Tomorrow I will have some nice food pictures.
Hope I haven't scared you all off.
lol

3 comments:

Londi said...

That furniture doesn't look fit for man nor beast! It looks like you are only supposed to look at it, but good grief! Don't even think about sitting on it, or curling up for a nap. I just could not live there I fear. Of course, it's too far from the coast for me. I am a coastal person.

Shari said...

The food pictures have my mouth watering - especially those cookies. Makes me want to head right to the kitchen and start baking! Has your mom-in-law let you use her kitchen to bake? Perhaps they would like to try your lemon squares. If I were going to "color you happy," you would be yellow 'cause to me, yellow denotes happiness. LOL
-- Love, Mom

Melissa said...

I have not been in mom's kitchen to bake yet. The biggest issue is getting the right ingredients. Plus my measuring cups and spoons are not here, they're at the other apartment, and I guess they'll be there til Ahmed gets back.
As to lemon squares or anything else lemon that I'm dying to make at the moment, it will have to wait until I can actually find any lemons. What they call lemons here are actually limes. They don't normally have what we call lemons, though I hear they can be found. I just haven't come across any yet. That's why I was interested in growing a lemon tree.