Friday, June 26, 2009

A wee little break

Well, it seems I've had myself a couple days break there.
It's been incredibly hot and humid and it's sapping the stength/energy out of me.

My heat rash is getting worse and I just got three mosquito bites on top of the rash. lol

Anyways, as I said, here are the pictures that I took from our outing on Tuesday.

First up is of Ahmed and I. I set the camera on a pillar and we are standing next to the Nile. The land to the right of us is the island Zamalek. It houses many Americans or other foreigners, and also many embassies and official offices.



Next is the building where we saw the movie. It's the tall towers that you see. The movie was in the bottom floor. I guess only the bottom 3 floors have stores and the theater, and the rest of the floors must be business offices? It's quite a large set of towers. Very nice inside, marble floors and good a/c.
It's right across the street from the Nile.



Next we have a view from the other mall we went to, Arcadia mall, where the food court area was. I made sure we got a view looking at the water. Not all the seats were facing that way and some were towards the inside of the mall. I just loved the view and even though it was noisy, it was so relaxing to sit and stare at the water and dream about living on the island Zamalek, which is the land you see across the water. I have a video that I took from that spot and I'll try to upload it tomorrow.



Here is a closer view of the island. I decided I could happily live in the large house that you can see. I told hubby he better hurry up and make a very large amount of money, because I want to live on that island, right up at the edge of the Nile. lol
Yeah, keep dreaming Melissa!



Last we have the view from the furniture store that we went to. How can anyone work with a view like that all day? lol (actually now that I look at this particular picture, you can't really see the view, but it was like the one from the restaurant we were at in the mall)
Also, this couch was so awesome. Total pimp couch. But, if they had it in black and it wasn't so expensive, we would totally buy it. lol
I think the striped looking pillows were actual fur. Very soft. Kinda gross.




There is a chance that we will be moving to an area called Heliopolis. It's very near the airport, and pretty far from hubby's work. He would have to take the underground to get to work and it's maybe 45 minutes or so each way, so that kind of sucks.
There's some pluses and minuses and we are still discussing.
The two big minuses for me are that hubby will be too far away during the day if there was any kind of emergency. The other is that the family's cleaning lady sleeps there 3 nights a week. Hubby says she is only there from 10 pm until 6 am, but I'm just not really liking this at all. I mean, maybe he has known her all his life but I haven't and not that she isn't nice, but she just kind of... makes me crazy.
The apartment is owned by his aunt who lives in Kuwait. His grandma lived there before she came to live here in this apartment where we are now, and when his aunt or her kids come to visit from Kuwait, they stay there.
His aunt offered it several months ago to his mom (which I didn't know), but I guess Ahmed told her no. And so hubby's mom will ask his aunt again (mom's sister) and see what she says.
Of course, I haven't seen the place since my trip in 2007 and don't remember much about it and there is still the fact of the cleaning lady to contend with.
We shall see....

Dying from the heat. It was 106 on Wednesday. Only about 100 on Thursday but more humid. It cools down to maybe 80 or so during the night and gets fairly humid overnight.
I think one of the things hubby is thinking about regarding the possible move to his aunt's apartment, is that it has air conditioning, and I really need to get out of this heat because my body is not adjusting and I'm sure I was close to heat exhaustion a few days ago.

Not sure if I will post as much when it's hot. It just makes me feel too tired to do much at all.

4 comments:

Londi said...

Nice pictures Melissa. I really enjoy them. Too bad it's so bloody hot there though. I don't know if I could take that, even for the sake of love! LOL! Although if Roger could come back to life, I would probably go to the moon if need be!

Londi

Shari said...

So sorry, Melis, that the heat and humidity are making you miserable. Hopefully, the water misting fan I sent will get there very soon - perhaps that will give you some relief. Saw a movie today - "The Proposal" - a bit of light entertainment and Dad, for once, did not fall asleep for a portion of the movie! lol Jonathan turned 7 yesterday and they took him to Disneyland.
-- Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Hey ladies. Yup, it's definitely hot. lol
Though it got down into the 70's during the night. It almost felt chilly!!!

Shari said...

We've been having temps in the 90's too, but not nearly the humidity that you have. House next to us sold and new owner was over a few minutes ago - they're from Santa Rosa and he's not retired yet, so they'll just be there off and on for a year or 2. I really enjoy the photos. Keep 'em coming! -- Love, Mom