Monday, June 15, 2009

Whole lotta Chocolata

It seems, based on the things hubby brought back for me from Kuwait, that we have quite a bit of chocolate in our future. Or as they call it here, chocolata.

I took a few pictures of the chocolate he brought back. He also brought me a 2 cup liquid measuring cup since I didn't bring one with me when I moved, and also he brought me a set of dry measuring cups, so now I'll have an extra!

These first two pictures are the unsweetened baking chocolate that I requested.
It is 1 kilo. Which I looked up and which translates to 2.2 pounds. Wow, that's a lot of chocolate. lol
I guess it will last me for some long while.
So here is the front, which looks rather plain.



And here is the back.



I also requested chocolate chips. I was hoping for Nestle brand which I am used to, but I guess what they had was Hershey's. They don't taste exactly the same as what I am used to but insha'Allah they will be fine. They were on special actually, and came with one bag of chips taped to a canister of baking cocoa, which I don't have pictured. So I have two bags of chips and two canisters of cocoa.



He also bought me some Hershey's kisses, since he knows that I'm fond of them. The packaging is different than what we have in the states but I'm assuming that the taste is the same? We'll find out when I finish my current bag of kisses and try the new bag.





Well, last night was not any better than the night before. We didn't get to sleep before 4:15 a.m. and did not sleep solid before getting out of bed at 6 a.m.
However, last night it was hubby who was really irritated. Not that I wasn't, but I guess I was more upset the night before.
He had opened the sheesh (wood shutters) wide open in the bedroom to let some breeze in because the humidity was something like 65% or so when we went to bed, which was just nasty. He ended up closing it for some reason, which I have to say I was happy for, because I felt like I was naked on preview for the whole world to see. I mean, I wasn't naked, it just felt very open. Like I was outside camping or something.
lol
It was amazing though, when we went out onto the front balcony before going to bed, how chilly and windy it was, though it was still humid.
I'm wondering if the people who grow up with humidity mind it so much? I mean it's not nice in any case but I wonder if you live with it from birth for so many years if you just get used to it.

I talked to hubby about buying some screening to put up over the windows, at least for while we sleep, so that we can get air in and keep the mosquitoes out, and he had been thinking of buying a thin drape material, but in the end we came to a sort of compromise involving neither of those items.
He knows that I don't like any kind of bug spray, though they do use it in some rooms of the house here, and at first he is always telling me that they have some spray that has no smell, but it's not just the smell that I don't like, I don't like the thought of that nasty chemical bug killing crap sprayed over my bedding or belongings. Because it doesn't just disappear. It leaves a residue. And I don't want that on my stuff. Yuck!!
However, there is a sun-room and balcony attached to our bedroom. To get to the sun-room, you open the glass doors, and then the sheesh (wood shutter doors) and you are in the sun-room. In that room, there are wide windows that open, and also a door that opens onto the balcony itself.
I told hubby that if he wants to close the sheesh and glass doors, and go around to the balcony from his parents room (the balcony goes all the way around the back side of their apartment), then he can spray the sun-room area while the bedroom doors are closed.
Meaning, the sun-room can get sprayed all to heck, and it shouldn't get into the bedroom, but if we open the doors from the sun-room to the bedroom later on, it should be okay.
We shall see.
I hope that made sense. lol
I'll try to take a picture later, which would probably make things easier to understand.

3 comments:

anna said...

doesn't feel like summer to me unless it's hot & humid. not sure how the humidity here compares to egypt. it's definitely hotter there which probably makes a difference. but after a long cold chicago winter, sweat feels like magic...

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Humidity here is often 80 or 90% in the morning when I get up. The sun dries things off, usually by mid-morning. I like it better than when it gets really dry. That's much more uncomfortable.
Hershey's kisses used to be my favorite too, until they started putting things into them that I'd rather not eat. Part of why I liked them was because they didn't have junk in them. Now they have changed the formula to add something (four initials - can't remember them offhand) so that they don't have to put as much of the more expensive cocoa/chocolate in and they theoretically still taste the same. NOT. Just another of a long string of 'improvements' that have had me crossing some of my favorite things off my shopping list. I even make my own ice cream now because Breyer's considers gums and thickeners all natural. I don't. The taste is not the same and the texture is certainly not the same. Enough complaining. At least I don't have to sleep with mosquitos. Not sure how you stand it. One mosquito in the room and I am awake until it is dead.
Jane

Melissa said...

Hey Anna :D
You are welcome to all the magic you like. lol

Jane, humidity is similar here I guess, overnight and in the morning. Right now it's 1 p.m. and we're at 88 degrees (cooler than normal but will get hotter a little bit later) and 43% humidity. The humidity will go up as well as the day progresses.
Some days it's worse than others. Yesterday it wasn't *too* bad, but it never seems to go away completely.
I would much prefer dry or even really dry. lol

Ahmed is like you regarding mosquitoes. Once he hears one in the room, it doesn't matter what time it is, he's out of bed and the light gets turned on and he's on the hunt til he can kill the little bugger. lol

I would love to make my own ice cream, but I don't have an ice cream maker. Perhaps now would be the time to get one (after we get our own place), seeing as how I never ate ice cream in the States but I'm eating it here a couple of days a week when I can get it.
Mmmmmmm.....ice cream...