Thursday, August 27, 2009

Something at least

Well, we didn't go shopping until last night.

We got 2 sets of sheets, one set each of bath towels (mine are pink and his are brown) and we also bought two pillows (Egyptian cotton ones but in a regular pillow shape, not the long skinny things). Down pillow to come later as they're a bit pricey since they're imported.
I was very happy to have some movement in the area of buying things for the apartment.

Tonight we are supposed to go pick out the stove.

Not sure about when we will buy kitchen stuff, I hate making guesses anymore because nothing ever happens when it's "supposed" to and it's really been disappointing.

Anyways, we've made a start so alhamdulillah.

Day 6 of fasting here and it's going fine. I'm glad I don't have to work so I can take it pretty easy, but I'm not sleeping all day long either.

My MIL is making a lot of really nice foods during Ramadan, which I guess many people do, though to my mind it goes against the whole point of fasting and doing without. lol
Oh well, it is their cultural tradition, and not part of Islam, but I'm not going to be able to change that.
Things will be different (I hope) at my house, though I love to make food anyways, so who knows. I'd rather save the special stuff for the celebration after Ramadan is over. Eid is celebrated the day after fasting finishes, and it lasts 3 days here in Egypt.

When we went out last night, there were decorations everywhere. Mostly strings of colorful bright lights and also many fanoos hanging.
Ramadan/Eid is for Muslims like Christmas is for Christians (or all people who celebrate Christmas). So think about how decorated everything gets in the States at Christmas, and that's kind of how it is here now, except without the santas and all that. lol


Hopefully I'll be able to update tomorrow that we purchased a stove!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy - my oh my fasting for Ramadan, is it really an entire month?? I'm happy to hear your getting to make some purchases. Hope all is well with you and yours. Miss ya lots!! Jeff Gunier

Melissa said...

Wow, hey Jeff! :D
Yup, an entire month! Holy smokes right?
Things are okay here, just a lil slow. lol
Not like New York I'm sure!!