Friday, August 28, 2009

Food food and more food.

No stove last night, hubby had to go out.
But, insha'Allah we'll be going out tonight to shop.

I took a whole slew of pictures yesterday of what my MIL made for our dinner and I've got them ready to post but I'll save it for tomorrow.

Also, I made brownies today. For some reason they didn't turn out the same as when I make them in the States. Perhaps it was due to different chocolate and vanillan instead of real vanilla. Anyways, they are okay enough, just not superb like I was expecting. The recipe is Moosewood Fudge Brownies if you are interested in looking it up online. I add cinnamon and chocolate chips as the extras. Yum!

Oh, also, every year it seems that the Boston Globe puts up some pictures of Ramadan around the world. Or at least in the Middle and Far East.
pictures

If you look at pictures 2, 7, 14, and 26, they all relate to things here in Cairo.

Picture 2 is of a guy getting ready to go out and bang a drum to wake everyone for the pre-dawn meal, like I talked about the other day.

Picture 7 is of a man making the dough that is used to make konafa, which I talked about and showed a picture of the finished dessert the other day. This is the dough itself being made, then it will be sold and we would use it to make the dessert.

In picture 14 you see two trays of sweets. They are made the same I think, just different shapes. My MIL makes the round ones, which I call sugar balls, and I have a picture of them to post tomorrow. They are made of a simple dough that is fried and then steeped in sugar syrup.

And picture 26 is just a ginormous version of something my MIL makes. She makes little itty bitty ones like that, and then puts either cream, nuts, or raisins/coconut, and then you fold the dough in half and then fry it. Then it gets dipped in the sugar syrup. I think I have a picture of that to post as well tomorrow.

Yay for food and traditions!

1 comment:

Shari said...

The gentleman on the right in Picture 14 resembles Dad Garvin. Thanks for the info on this traditional holiday. -- Love, Mom