Monday, May 18, 2009

Watering mosquitoes

Well, looks like we are for sure moving to the in-laws sometime this evening. Hubby got most of our stuff out of the apartment this morning on his way to work.
I packed up my stuff last night and re-arranged the things in my suitcases so that I'm just taking one big bag and a couple smaller ones to mom and dad's, up the 4 flights of stairs, the rest of the bags have gone to the other apartment (the one on the first floor).

I really love the fact that the bathroom floors here are tile/marble and that there are drains in the floors. It means that when you spot a mosquito flying around while you're showering, you can just hose him down.
lol
Of course, you have to squeegee the floor after, but small price to pay for a few less mosquito bites.

On the one hand, I am happy to stay at the in-laws place. They are all very nice and try to make me feel so much at home there. I really appreciate that a lot! I really "lucked out" with my new family here. And mom is too happy to do anything she can for me. I actually wish I could help her out with anything but she won't hear of it. It actually makes me feel a bit guilty and too lazy. She has enough to do and I wouldn't mind helping at all.
On the other hand, as long as hubby and I are there, there isn't much privacy or alone time, unless we hang out in the bedroom. I don't mind the bedroom, and there's a balcony attached, but it's just nice to have your own place ya know?
I asked hubby how long we would be there. He isn't positive of course, but if we do end up moving to Kuwait, the longest we would be there, he thinks, is a month. And it could be much less time. Maybe a week or two.
If we don't move to Kuwait, then it just depends on how quickly we can find an apartment.
So... no idea how long we'll be there.

I think the hardest adjustment here for me has been the food situation.
Because I have some small food issues, it's really inconvenient here. I can't just run down to Raley's or Safeway and get whatever my little heart desires that I find acceptable to eat.
The major grocery stores are very far away and the little stores don't carry the things that I'm used to eating. While we've been at this temp apartment, we've eaten a ton of take out, which is actually okay. It's not *all* totally greasy. But when we are at mom and dad's, I have less choice. I need to eat what mom cooks. I mean, she keeps me and my peculiarities in mind, but overall I find the food extremely heavy. Practically everything is fried or just contains a ton of oil.
After a week I feel crazy with it.
If we move to Kuwait, the groceries will be much more accessible, and they will have more of the foods I'm used to.
If we stay in Egypt, it really depends how close we are to a major market, but I really don't think we'll be able to move anywhere near one. We need to stay somewhat close to hubby's work so he doesn't have to commute so far, so that's the major consideration.
Hmmmm......

It was supposed to be 104 here today (40c) but it only seems to be 100.
Tomorrow's forecast is for 107 (42c).
Hot!

No comments: