Monday, May 11, 2009

Bathroom lizards

We're still at the in-laws. Funny how it happens this way, that we come to stay for one night and somehow it turns into 4 nights.
Me, of course, I'm only prepared to stay for one night, per hubby's answer when I asked him how long it would be.
lol
Still, nice to be with family instead of being alone at the apartment all day.

Last night for lunch we had grilled chicken and mom made me a nice salad with lettuce, cucumbers and grated carrots. There was also some vermicelli mom made for me with garlic and thyme or something.
Tonight was fried chicken and rice with noodles. Plus mom made me some soup, veggie soup with zucchini, carrots and onion in a broth. She also made some peas and carrots with a red sauce but I didn't have any of it. The rice was very nice, the noodles in it are kind of like vermicelli, only thinner, and they are cut into short pieces and fried first before mixing in with the rice.

Last night I needed to use the restroom. I went in and closed the door and before um, sitting down, I looked at the window and saw that there was a lizard on the outside of it.
The glass on the window is frosted, so I couldn't see it that clearly, but it was unmistakable.
At first I thought maybe someone was playing a joke and put a lizard shaped decal or something on the window but I can't imagine why that came to mind.
The thing about this lizard is that its feet had little grippers at the ends of the fingers, not like regular lizard fingers with nails or whatever.
I took some pictures but I'm guessing there is at least one person (by the name of mom, lol) who would not like to see, so I won't post it. All you can see is his underside anyways.

We went to bed late last night. It was about 2:30 or a bit later.
Ahmed likes to leave the balcony door open and also the shutters on the window are closed, but not the window itself.
There are no screens on either the balcony or the window.
Needless to say, there are mosquitoes.
We usually don't have that bad of a problem, a few here or there.
But last night around 3 I was woken by the buzz of mosquito in my ear. I brushed it away in irritation, and then not a couple of minutes later, was buzzed by my other ear. Again I brushed it away, irritated. This pattern went on for a good 10 minutes before I was able to fall asleep again.
Well, the adhan (call to prayer that is heard on the loudspeakers here) sounded at 4:30 a.m.
I woke up, and my throat was so dry that I couldn't swallow well, so I thought I would take a drink of water. There was a bottle of water on the bedside so that was fine, but what wasn't fine was that I noticed, after taking a couple of sips of water, that I had a very large bump on the inside of my mouth, next to the left corner.
Sakes alive I started to freak out, feeling it with my tongue. I couldn't imagine at first what could have caused it, then realized it must have been one of the stupid mosquitoes.
I had been having very bad acid reflux earlier in the night so I thought at first maybe the bump was from something I ate, but that didn't make as much sense as a mosquito bite.
Well, I got out of bed and walked out onto the balcony. Don't ask me why, I don't know.
lol
I just had to get out of bed because I was totally panicked about the bump. I didn't want to wake Ahmed and so I got back into bed and managed to get back to sleep.
By morning when I woke back up, at 7, the bump had gone down significantly, but I could still feel it.
I managed to get back to sleep some more before finally waking up again with Ahmed's phone ringing.
When he woke, I told him about the bump and he said it was probably just a mosquito and that he has gotten bit on the lips before and it's okay, nothing to worry about.
I don't know why but I just considered that if the bite was inside the mouth, somehow it could cause more harm or get infected or who knows what.
At 4:30 in the morning, or even 7 for that matter, my mind isn't generally thinking that straight.
So, that is my horrible awful mosquito story.
I still have the bump but it's not so big and insha'Allah it will go away soon with no problems.
I do foresee a mosquito net for our bed in the very near future!!!!
:D

My sister in law and I are supposed to do a little shopping in the afternoon or early evening tomorrow. There are some stores near to the apartment here that she wanted to show me. Should be nice and maybe I will find something to buy.
And then, I am told, we are going home tomorrow night. lol
We shall see.
I will be back here anyways when hubby goes on his trip to Kuwait later in the week.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yeah I'm like you, fine with lizards, and snakes even, but spiders are creepy crawly gross.
lol
And yes, mosquito in the mouth is definitely icky!

Shari said...

I remember when a lizard got into the house on Castledown. You should've seen Pris and I trying to "trap" this thing. I put some lettuce in a shoe box and tried to entice it. It was behind the piano in the family room downstairs. You never heard so much screaming and laughing. LOL And my lovely sister (Anonymous) chased me with a snake on a stick when I was around 5 years old. I can still feel the fear and see myself running (my first out of body experience). Love, Mom