Friday, May 22, 2009

The walk

Well, we did have a nice walk last night.

We left around 7. I ended up not taking the camera with me, so no pictures of the walk.
But, there was a lot to see.
Many many many stray cats around. I love cats, they're just too cute, but the strays here tend to be on the mangy side. I feel kind of bad for them. There is no easy life here for stray cats. They fight for food and territory and for who knows what else.
We passed by the Viet Nam embassy on our way to the shopping area of the Mohandiseen district. The embassy is probably 10 minutes or so walk from the in-laws apartment.
They are in the Mohandiseen district, but at the edge I guess, kind of between Mohandiseen and Dokki, which is another district.

Once we got down to the shopping area, and were walking on the main street, and I do mean walking on the street, lol, the wind kicked up and there was sand/dust in the air. Quite irritating when you're wearing contacts and I had some trouble with it off and on for a while.
We passed a Baskin-Robbins ice cream place, and were thinking of stopping by on the way back home, but we ended up going home a different way.

At one point, we passed this corner that had a few trees, and the trees were just filled to capacity with birds flying around and chirping. I mean, there were hundreds of birds. We could hear it from across the busy street. I could have stood there and watched for some time, it was really amazing.

We ended up making our way down to the edge of the Zamalek district, Zamalek having been our original destination, as we were going to walk around there, but instead we ended up walking down a street that bordered a sports club, and wound up at a cafe, which I can't remember the name of.

The walk thus far had taken about an hour and ten minutes. And hubby is not a slow walker! lol
We stayed at the cafe for an equal amount of time.
Hubby had a double espresso and I just had a sprite.
There were a lot of people there smoking shisha. Which is the water pipe with tobacco. They make the tobacco in different flavors, which smell nice for a little bit, but it's also strong smelling. And when someone next to you is smoking it, it isn't so nice to breath in the second hand smoke, mainly because it doesn't taste all that great.

After leaving the cafe, we walked back here to the apartment. It took about half an hour. Busy streets!
We passed by one building that looked like a mini castle. I asked hubby what it was, and apparently, a famous singer had originally built it for his house (why yes, it is strange) but had sold it or something and it is now a restaurant.
There were several furniture stores we passed that looked like they would have neat stuff but we didn't go inside.

We passed so many cafe's. They are just everywhere. Most of them on the main streets are for men / women, but there are some cafe's that are on the smaller streets, that you will only see men at. No Egyptian woman would go there. A tourist might venture in and get away with it, but I guess she would get strange looks.

Anyways, I was feeling slightly ill by the time we got home. Too much walking.
We ordered pizza, which was nice. We finally found a place that will make pizza with white sauce instead of only red sauce. Hurray!

I have some pictures of some cats that were outside yesterday, but I'll wait til tomorrow to post them I guess.
There were three cats, and it looked like they might fight at one point, but I guess they worked things out, because all I saw was some slight stalking.
lol

3 comments:

Shari said...

Hi from Leavenworth, WA. I'm looking forward to any pictures you might take during your walk. Leavenworth is modeled after a Bavarian village and is quite lovely. As soon as Dad gets up from his nap, we're going into town to pick up a few groceries. We're close - the RV park is only about 3 miles from town on the Icicle River. High mountains all around - it's just beautiful. - Love, Mom

Melissa said...

I kept forgetting to look up Leavenworth, but in my mind I had a feeling it must be something like Solvang, so I guess I was right?
What really comes to mind when thinking of Leavenworth is a prison. Is there a big jail there or something?
I was trying to think of something you could buy me. lol

Shari said...

There is a prison in Leavenworth, KANSAS...but definitely no prison here. We'll be going in to town tomorrow (not today, as Londi and Glen, her son, are coming)and I'll take some pictures. It's like being in a small town in a tiny valley in the Alps. The RV park is FULL. It's located next to the Icicle River. Dad and I walked over there last night and that river is FAST - looks like a good place for extreme rafting. LOL I'll take a picture. Love, Mom