Monday, May 4, 2009

Hellooooo dust!

Well, it appears that we are in the middle of a dust storm.
I think the term storm is a little misleading though. The air is for sure filled with dust, and there is wind at times, but when I think of storm I think of something more like a heavy rain storm or tornadoes or other stuff like that.
To add insult to injury, it was about 100 degrees yesterday.
So, dust with a side of heat.
lol
We had the a/c on in the bedroom last night which was nice.
When I woke up I could tell it would be hot again today. It's only 84 at the moment (12:40 pm), though I guess it will get a bit hotter.

I tried to take a picture but it doesn't show that clearly how thick the air is.
The buildings in the background that you can't see well? You should be able to see them clearly.



Woke up earlier than I wanted today and am feeling bored and restless. I think the restless is from feeling like I can't be outside because of the dust.
But, on the upside, I did find some cartoons in English this morning. There is something like the Cartoon Network here, but it seems like whenever I check to see what's playing it's some weird old cartoon that I never heard of.
This morning I saw the Flinstones, Merrie Melodies, Batman, and the Powerpuff Girls.

Tomorrow we are having a lady in to clean. Not sure how long it will take but a couple of hours maybe?
It should be interesting.
Mainly I want to get rid of the dust in here. It drives me crazy.
Insha'Allah when we get our next place the windows will be more airtight.

I was thinking about homesickness this morning.
Compared to last time I was here, I can't say I really feel any homesickness.
In wondering why, I had the idea that since last time I was here I knew that I would be going back home, I was eager to get to the things that I missed?
But this time, since I am living here, there is not that feeling of longing for things that I will be going back to.
That could be totally wrong, who knows.
There are definitely things that I miss, aside from family and friends, but nothing that I can't live without.
I guess it's just a matter of figuring out what's important and what you can live with.
We have a lot of conveniences in the States that I think we all take for granted. I'd say that as a whole, the country is pretty spoiled!
That isn't to say it isn't nice to be spoiled now and then.
lol

Ahmed's aunt from Kuwait is in Cairo visiting. She got here yesterday and will stay for a couple of months I think. She has her own apartment here, so that's convenient to say the least.
I'm looking forward to seeing her. I met her on my trip here back in 2007 and she's really nice.
Insha'Allah we will go to parents in law's place Friday and maybe she will be there too.
We skipped the parents in law last Friday as we went to Carrefour instead.

Time for some Tom and Jerry. See you all later!

** I've edited this to add a more recent picture. You should be able to see the difference in how much worse it is than it was three hours ago.

3 comments:

Shari said...

Wow, dust! Can you taste it? It sure does look thick. We had dust storms in Albuquerque...or were they sand storms. Anyway, the girls wore skirts/dresses then and the wind blew the sand so hard it really hurt when it hit our legs. We'd "hunker" down and pull our skirts over our legs. Yes, you're right...we here in America are spoiled by all of the conveniences we have. Do you have a gazillion types of toothpaste in the stores there? That drives me nuts! LOL Sounds like you're doing well; that makes me feel good. Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Hi mom. Well, I'm not sure if I was tasting it or smelling it, but yeah, by the second day I could.
I'm guessing your skirts were short (at knee length?) - that would have sucked! Did I just say sucked? lol

They don't generally have a gazillion brands of anything here unless you're at one of the major markets.
I think the major markets are Spinney's, Carrefour, Hyper One and... Metro, though Metro is a bit smaller. I'm sure there's one I'm leaving out but I can't think of it at the moment.
We've only been to Spinney's and Carrefour.
But Those aren't everywhere like Safeway or something, and for us it'a bit of a drive, so not too convenient to go.

Shari said...

Actually, skirt lengths when I was living in Albuquerque were below the knee. I'll email you a picture - you've probably seen it at some time in the past, but will send it anyway. Did I tell you that Dad and I are going to be witnesses at a wedding in Reno this evening (May 6)? I'll include details in an email. Love, Mom