Sunday, May 17, 2009

Avast!

Nothing much to speak of yesterday except ants and mosquito bites, so we'll just let that be.

It's hot today and should be a bit over 100 for the next few days it seems. I'm thankful I don't have a job working outside in the heat.
And also thankful for air conditioning.
=)

I think we are moving out of here tomorrow. Maybe. Which means I need to pack stuff up, though mostly it's all still residing in suitcases. However, since hubby's folks live on the 4th floor, and the thought of hauling my heavy suitcases up 4 narrow flights of stairs is not inviting, I will try to pick the essential things, and the rest can be stored at their other apartment, which is mostly empty, and which is on the first floor! Brilliant eh?
And then I guess as of Monday or Tuesday, we will be living with his parents until we either move to Kuwait, or if not moving there, until we find a new apartment in Cairo.
Hmmmm......

Back when I lived in the States, my landlord had remodeled the kitchen. I wish I had a "before" picture handy but I don't and I'm not digging one out right now. They did an excellent job as far as the aesthetics of the new kitchen went, but they took away a whole bunch of storage space, and I was really unhappy about that. Really unhappy.
However, in comparison to the kitchen at this temp apartment, and the kitchens I've seen in general here, it was like a little slice of heaven, reduced space or not. lol

First pic here is the kitchen at my old apartment. I was just a couple days from moving out so things are a bit messy. But, plenty of counter space (a lovely marble), a lovely range and oven, nice big fridge/freezer. It was nice.

And now we move to the kitchen here at our temp apartment.
I'm standing against the wall. The sink is to my right, and the doorway to my left. And you can see the whole rest of the kitchen here. It's hard for both hubby and I to be in it at the same time if we're trying to move around. lol
The stoves here seem to be miniature, and I'm not sure why. Forget ever roasting a turkey in one of these bitty things. I know they sell larger ovens, but I guess people are pressed enough for space that they buy the smaller ones? I dunno. I want the same size oven as I was used to in the States, but I don't think it's going to happen. We shall see.



My mother in law's kitchen is bigger, but... still has the small oven. And not much counter or storage space to speak of.
Things are strange here kitchen wise. Or I should say, "different". It seems when you move into a place, you buy your own major appliances and storage cabinets? I don't quite understand it.
I mean, you can rent apartments that are furnished, but they aren't all that way.

Anyways... looking forward to a bigger kitchen insha'Allah. And buying kitchen stuffs. And baking!

7 comments:

Marcouiller Trimble said...

hi there
my oven (as are most) is small here too, than ones i have had in the states or quebec. i had to get all new cookie sheets and things because mine didn't fit.

Anonymous said...

I like the little garden window in your Calif. kitchen. The news this morning said there was an earthquake in So. Cal. last night. A moderate one with little damage.

Melissa said...

I wonder why the difference in oven sizes. Maybe it's truly just a space thing.
I don't mind buying all the baking stuff since we have to buy it anyways. I'd be annoyed if I brought all my stuff over and couldn't use it though!

I read about the earthquake. Glad I don't have to worry about that so much anymore. Though....hmmmm.... maybe I'd take quakes over sandstorms.
lol

Shari said...

There was an earthquake in SoCal? Wow! It's just after noon here and I have to get that news 2nd and 3rd hand from Egypt. LOL I can see, Melis, why you really appreciate your P'ton kitchen now-there's a big difference in size. Of course, here in the 5th wheel we have a pretty small kitchen, but one does adjust; however, the oven is large enough for a cookie sheet or muffin tin. We're having lunch with a couple of girlfriends from Camas High School Class of 1957 tomorrow; I'm looking forward to that. We bought a 9x12 handmade (in India) area rug today for the family room; it will be shipped to us after we get home in early June. S'posed to rain tomorrow and has cooled down to the mid 70's today - yay! Love, Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Maybe it's just apartment ovens that are small??? I know houses I stayed in in Ireland, Spain, Germany and Finland all had full sized ovens, while a number of my apartments here have had small ovens that wouldn't fit a turkey pan. I do hate small ovens, though. Hopefully you'll get to check out apartments before you move into the next one and have some sort of choice.
Jane

Melissa said...

Shari (lol!!), I will be interested to see the rug. Is it soft or... more of a hard rug? Will the colors run on the carpet? Or you got it for the room with the tv? I could never figure out the difference between a living room and family room.

As to kitchen sizes here, the city is basically almost all apartments. It's rare to see a house (or what they call villa here) inside the city limits, and you will mostly only see them on the outskirts? There just isn't room for houses for that many millions of people. So it could be just that the apartment ovens are small, but they're all apartments. lol

Shari said...

It's a soft very tightly woven 9x12 rug which will go in the room with the TV. LOL The rug that's in there now is too small - we'll probably put it under the dining room table. :)