Saturday, May 9, 2009

Soda for breakfast

Still at the in-laws. Hubby has left for work.
I did get a few photos yesterday of mom's cooking, but haven't gotten them ready for posting.
She made two main dishes, neither of which I can remember the names of. I'll ask Ahmed when I see him this evening. One of the dishes was flatbread with rice and a ton of garlic and soup and um, it sounds weird but it ends up being rice with very soft pieces of flatbread in it and very garlic flavored and it was soooooo good. I love garlic. The other dish was sausage casings stuffed with the same kind of spiced rice that is used for stuffing vegetables (or as I call them, intestines with rice).
The rice was a little too spicy for me, and to be perfectly honest I'm not thrilled at eating intestine casings, but... ya know.
Mom also made me some plain rice and some mashed potatoes. There was also some stewed meat and it was so tender and juicy. Just lovely.
There was a last dish, which was... I dunno... like... cow knees or something? lol
You take them and boil them in some kind of broth and I guess they get soft and you can eat them, but you can bet they won't be passing my lips anytime soon. Hubby doesn't eat them either, though he has tried them before. You can be sure that if something does not appeal to my husband (who will eat just about anything), then for sure it's not going to appeal to me!
For dessert, mom made the um, I dunno what they're called, though sugar balls would be an appropriate name. They are sweets that are traditionally made at Ramadan. They are kind of like donut holes, only the glaze is a sugar syrup flavored with vanilla and I'm pretty sure I could eat them all day long! Wow they are so good. Totally unhealthy, but sometimes you just gotta go for it!

It was really nice to see the family that I hadn't seen since last time I was here, and I enjoyed meeting his cousin that I hadn't met before. She is moving back to Kuwait on Friday, so if hubby and I do end up moving to Kuwait, I guess she and I will be able to spend time together.

Hubby is leaving sometime in the next week on his Kuwait trip and I am dreading it. I know that I'll be okay, but....I dunno, I just feel safer with him around than out of the country.
Still not sure how long he'll be gone for. I hope no more than 5 days.
Upside is that my sister in law has taken the whole month of May off from work, so she'll be around during the day while I'm at the parents in law's place. Perhaps we'll find some trouble to get up to.

It's windy and chilly today. Though it should warm up later I guess. Though it's already just past 1 p.m., so I don't know.

No comments: