Thursday, December 31, 2009

Another one bites the dust

Well, seems the new year is upon us already.  Like most years, there were ups and downs.
Looking forward to a fresh start, though technically we get a fresh start every day that we open our eyes upon waking.

:::

I ended up making the "orange" lemon bars last night.  I haven't tried them yet but hubby says they are good.
Almost the same as the bars using lemon or lime, so it seems that the citrus flavor is pretty interchangeable and the taste stays fairly well the same.

I believe what I used was clementines, but I'm just not sure.  In any case, I will consider it a success.

Not sure about baking things at a higher temperature to avoid browning on the bottom.  I guess I'd have to cover the top with foil to make sure the top didn't get too browned.  lol

In any case, I did make another loaf of bread this morning and I finally got the temperature right without having to adjust it every 5 minutes.  And, the bottom didn't come out too brown, it was almost just right.

I will figure this out!  lol

:::

Foot is still bugging me off and on.  Good excuse to sit around, even though I have things I actually want to do.  I do get some things done, but mopping the place is a no go because we don't have a pail big enough for the mop so I have to use the bathtub and so it means A LOT of trips back and forth to the bathroom while I'm mopping.  Not good for sore feet.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more comfy shoe slipper thingies for around the house.  Everyone here wears thongs / flip flops around their house, which I find somewhat... odd, but understandable since most floors are wood or tile and tend to build up dirt and get water quite easily.  They call the flip flops "ship ships".  Cute.

:::

I believe we're going to visit the in-laws tomorrow.  There is other family visiting from Kuwait, so it will be nice to see everyone.  Also nice to just visit and not live there.  lol
Though I'll be back for hubby's business trip soon enough.  It sounds like it could be up to 10 days now.  I hope not!

:::

I was looking on the back of a package of pasta we bought the other day, when I read the following, "The company is irresponsible for improper storing."  I was laughing about that for a little while.  Sometimes I really wonder who they get to do their translating.

Many things that have a sell by or use by date will list either, "sell by" or "use by" in English, but then they put the date in the numbers that they use here.  I would call them Arabic numbers, but oddly enough, the numbers that we use in English are the Arabic numbers, and the ones they use here are from somewhere else and I can't remember at the moment.  So anyways, I can never read the date.  Silly.

:::

Happy new year to everyone.  May God always bless you and keep you safe, and keep you traveling down the right path.

1 comment:

Dad said...

I like your insight about every morning upon awakening is a new opportunity, a fresh start. Carpe diem, or "seize the day" is a good motto to live by. One doesn't have to await New Year's Day for that to happen. Happy New Year anyway, Melissa.
Love, Dad