Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tuesday

Even though I had planned to bake today, hubby somehow convinced me to bake something last night.  It didn't finish baking til about 12:30 a.m., so it was a bit late, but I guess we were both happy about the end result.

The recipe was called Snickerdoodle scones.  And the topping of cinnamon and sugar was indeed reminiscent of snickerdoodles.  The scone part was... well... not exactly like the scones I'm used to making, but it still tasted okay.  I'm not sure if I'll make the recipe again any time soon since I have so many others I want to try.

At the moment, I can hear hubby coming through the front door.  He was on a quest to find powdered sugar because he has asked me numerous times today about making lemon bars and I finally told him that when he went to the store and got some powdered sugar I would make some.  Well, lol, that got him dressed and out of the house very quickly.

So, shortly I will be off to make lemon bars.  Only with limes because we don't have lemons.  Don't know if they will taste okay or not.  I'm wondering if they would need a little more sugar since limes seem to be a bit more tart that lemons?  Gosh who knows.  We'll see how they turn out.

:::

I guess it's okay that the washing machine takes so long to run a load since I have to hang the clothes to dry anyways, and in the winter we don't get much sun so they take a while to dry.  One or two loads a day in the winter will be the max I guess.  During the summer it should be easier as it will be hot enough for the clothes to dry, sun or not.

The way our apartment faces, we get the rising sun and so by mid day we are shaded.  This should be nice for the hot summer months in general, but for winter, it's a bit chilly.

:::

Still haven't fixed the goat pictures for upload but I think I'll upload the short video I took instead.  The pictures didn't turn out all that well.  Insha'Allah I'll do that tomorrow.

:::

Oh, lol, we had an adventure with the oven last night.  I asked hubby to read the manual to see if there was anything we needed to do before using the oven for the first time.  I'm not sure how thoroughly he read the thing but he didn't see anything that stated we needed to do anything specific before use.

He turned the oven on and after a couple of seconds smoke was coming out.  Stinky smoke.  So we turned it off and opened the kitchen window.  We looked at the oven and couldn't see anything that could be burning, so I went into the bedroom and closed the door to avoid the smell while he lit the oven again and let the smoke burn off, which it did shortly, leaving the oven ready to use for the snickerdoodle scones.

:::

I had a sudden craving for ravioli tonight and was telling hubby about them.  I'm not sure if they sell them in Cairo or not, but we will have a search for them, and if they don't sell them, then perhaps at some point I will make an attempt at a home made version.  However that is not very high on my priority list at the moment.

I know I had more to write about but I can't think of anything at the moment.  We're still busy getting things done and cleaning up around here.

5 comments:

Londi said...

I have been making pumpkin bread a lot since the Thanksgiving and Christmas season came along. I was concerned about the one whole cup of oil it calls for though, so I substituted a cup of plain yogurt and it's even better than with the oil. It might work in scones too. The yogurt seems to make the pumpkin bread really moist and since scones are often a bit dry, I am wondering how that would taste. I have an apple snack cake recipe that has Bramdy in it and is so good, but it too, has a cup and a half of oil, so next time I m ake it, I am using Yogurt. Good luck with your "Lime bars".

Londi

Melissa said...

Heya Londi! :D
I would just loooove some pumpkin bread. Unfortunately they don't sell pumpkin here that I know of. The next time we make it to one of the larger supermarkets I'm going to try to find some canned. I've really missed it. And that's a great idea with the yogurt. I know I'm also turned off by how much oil some bread recipes call for.

The lime bars turned out great!
You can only just barely tell it's lime and not lemon. If you didn't know you might not even notice.
Hubby is very happy of course. lol

Shari said...

I've made recipes using oil (as called for) with no problem - I usually use Canola oil. But I'll have to give the yogurt a shot - what, plain yogurt?

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Plain or flavored yogurt, depending on if you want to add another flavor. I also substitute unsweetened applesauce sometimes in place of all or some of the oil in a recipe.

Shari said...

If a receipe calls for 1 cup of oil, do you substitute 1 cup of appleauce?