Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Boats, planes and trains, oh my!

The last couple of days, hubby and I have been discussing a trip to the States.

At this point, it would be easier for me to go by myself (read cheaper), but I do want him to come and meet my family, and he is eager to visit the States in any case.

We talked about some different ways to travel instead of just straight plane trips the whole way.

One thought was to take the train to Alexandria, then take a boat over to Italy (or thereabouts) and then fly from Italy to the States.

After that, we can either fly direct in to San Francisco, or we can fly to the east coast and take an Amtrak train across the States, which takes a couple of days but would be exciting for the both of us.

I have traveled across the States in a car before, so I've seen a bunch of things, but Ahmed has never been in the US, and I think it would be really great for him to get this chance.

Also, we could stop and visit other family that way.

The only thing is, although the train trip isn't that expensive in itself, add to that the cost of flying, renting cars and staying in hotels while in California, and it stops being so cheap.

In any case, perhaps we can skip the boat part since I was having trouble finding any information on that anyways.  We can fly from Cairo to say Boston or so, start the Amtrak there and take it across the States, and then on our return just fly straight to Cairo.

Of course, it all depends on money.  Hubby thinks we will need like $10k for the trip, which sounds like a bit much to me, and I don't know when we'd ever have that much saved up, but we shall see.  I want to get there for spring break, which is beginning of April.

:::

I'm finally out of the hair conditioner that I brought with me from the States.  I use it sparingly, so it's lasted quite some time, but alas, it is done! 

This is a bit of a shame, as it was a nice organic conditioner, with no scent added.

Since I'm particularly sensitive to scents, this is of utmost importance when buying shampoo and conditioner.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find something to replace it.  I have heard some people using olive oil or egg or all kinds of food in their hair, but honestly, that just sounds way too messy for me.  Plus, I'd like to keep my food on the inside.  lol

I also ran out of the soap that I brought with me.  Ran out a couple of months ago actually.  Thankfully, we did find something to replace that.  I had been using Dove sensitive skin/ unscented.  The unscented part being the most important. 

They do sell Dove here, but not unscented, so that was a no go.  And they do sell 5 million kinds of scented soaps here, none of which appealed to me.

We finally found a glycerin soap that has no scent.  It's made in Egypt which is nice, as we can support the economy here instead of me buying all imported stuff.  I wish that they listed exactly what was in the soap though.  All I know is that it's glycerin and unscented.  I think they often times add other ingredients as well.

That is something I have noticed with products here, both beauty products and food, is that if it's produced in Egypt, they often don't have very comprehensive labeling.  Bakeries don't label anything with an ingredient list, which drives me crazy.

I guess the regulations here don't call for it.  Which is a shame.  At least as far as I'm concerned.

6 comments:

Londi said...

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. I love to fly and I haven't done that since I flew to Newport Beach for Roger's memorial service in 2007. Your love of unscented products is just the opposite of mine. I love all the scent I can get! I think I make your mom crazy when I visit her. I am all perfumed and lotioned all the time. Of course, I have no allergies so that makes a huge difference.

Melissa said...

Sounds like it's time for you to take a trip and fly somewhere! :D

I think I'm the exception really, to the scented stuff - I think many people like things that are scented. I know all of my in-laws do. lol

Shari said...

Regarding Scents: I've been next to women who must've BATHED in their scent - it literally chokes me up...makes me cough. I like a nice, clean soap smell. The few times I do use cologne, I spray it in the air and then walk through it.
Regarding Trip: Wow, Melis - sounds like a great trip. I would love to take a train ride across the U.S....and Canada.

Melissa said...

A lot of people are like that here in Egypt - they spray on so much of their scent. It just drives me crazy. lol

Yeah I would be excited if we could pull this trip off. The train portion is the exciting part. Being stuck in a plane for 11 hours isn't all that much fun.

Maybe you and dad could take a trip back east on Amtrak. It's not *too* expensive and you guys have some spare time. lol
I think visiting Washington D.C. would be awesome!

Marcouiller Trimble said...

i love train travel and have used trains loads in the states and canada. i have taken the train across the u.s. a few times. the last being with the family last april. each time i have had sleeper cars of various sizes, and when you have a sleeper the meals are included. i love it. for me the time goes by so quickly.

Shari said...

We'll check into it. If you and Ahmed do come and take a train from the East, Dad and I could meet take a train east and meet you. I don't get excited about much anymore, but the thought of that type of trip does curl my toes! LOL