Saturday, December 19, 2009

Update 3

Well, yesterday, Thursday, hubby wasn't able to get all that much done at the apartment.  He and his helper did some more cleaning and other assorted small items.

They were supposed to get the stove upstairs and connected, but apparently the elevator is out again.  I don't blame the guys for not wanting to walk it up 4 flights of stairs.  lol

Today, we left the house early afternoon and walked across the street and bought some pots, pans, flatware, and a few other small items, and then walked down the block and bought our plate settings and a few tupperware like containers.

Funny thing about the dish set we ended up getting, is that there was only 1 set left in the pattern I wanted, and that was the set that was in the display window.  Well, guess what, no problem at all for them to take it down and pack it all up.  Hurray!  Great customer service.

After gathering our purchases, we headed over to our apartment.  Hubby traipsed most of the items upstairs, though I did carry one bag.  lol

Oh, I forgot, lol, after we brought everything upstairs, all 4 flights of stairs, we opened up the windows and were just generally checking things out, and I looked across the building from us, and there were 2 shaggy goats living on a roof.  Um... yeah.  lol

They are on the second floor I guess so I can easily look down on them.  I guess that is where they are being raised, though it doesn't seem like a very nice environment.  In any case, I took some pictures and a short video which I totally forgot about til just now, so I will have to upload those later.

There is a slight issue with water in the apartment, in what appears to be inside the walls?  Hubby says it's just water, but to me, the areas on the wall where there is a problem, it looks more like someone spilled something caustic on the wall and it's kind of... calcified up or something.  I dunno.  I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.  I'm not happy about it whether it's water or something else.  Mold and mildew inside walls can cause a lot of health problems. 

And while we were there, the guys who worked in the owner's store downstairs carried the stove 4 flights up and set it up.  We still need to buy the gas tank for it but we are supposedly getting that tomorrow from the owner.  Of course, the stove manual is all in Arabic.  Not very helpful.  Oh, it has a rotisserie thingy inside the oven.  Not sure if we'll ever use it but it might be fun to try sometime.  Just not with company coming.  lol
Hubby says he'll read the manual to me.  I mean, not like I don't know how to operate a stove, but I've never used a brand new stove before to my recollection, and I want to make sure there's nothing to be done before we start using it.

Okay, are you tired of reading yet?  lol

Tomorrow, the plan is to leave sometime mid-morning with what belongings we have here at the in-laws, and then head over to another branch of one of the stores we went to today which is close to our apartment, to pick up so last few things to get settled into the apartment, and then insha'Allah, tomorrow we will stay!

I have SO much cleaning to do.  As in, washing all the kitchen items before use, cleaning out the kitchen cupboards and then lining the shelves, figuring out laundry, etc., etc. 
I plan to keep hubby busy.  :D

Hopefully my next post will be saying that we are all moved in.

I asked hubby what he wanted the first thing I cooked to be and he said lemon bars.  lol
I said, no, not baking and sweets, what do you want your first meal to be.  He said lemon bars.  hehe
My sweety.

I've been browsing all the recipes I've been collecting on the computer and I have a few here and there that I plan to make which are fairly simple since we won't have a fully equipped kitchen just yet.

Let's see how cooking with a gas stove and oven goes.  Should prove interesting.  I'm sure it's nicer in some respects but it's an adjustment.  Plus... fire!  lol

Alright, that's enough.  See you all tomorrow!

3 comments:

Londi said...

I think a gas stove is much better than electric. I had one ib Nevada, but the one here is electric and it's so much slower than gas.

Shari said...

How exciting that you're FINALLY about to move into your new place. But water leaks...possible mold - not good. But perhaps mold isn't a problem in Egypt because of the dry air. If it WERE a problem, there would be a lot of sick people, so try not to worry about it too much.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!