Monday, December 21, 2009

Wow, tired

Well, I meant to get a post in yesterday but I was just beat with all the cleaning and figuring stuff out here at the apartment.

Things are going well, if a bit slow.  Lots of cleaning to do.  And we're still acquiring things we need.

Got the washing machine working and kind of have the cycles figured out.  Was able to get hubby to kind of translate the different loads, though I still have some confusion.  A manual in English would be great, but I think I'll be able to work it fine.  I've done a load of towels and a load of sheets.   Both hanging to dry right now.

The stove works, and I'm assuming the oven does, though I've not tried to light it yet.  One interesting thing that I didn't notice about the appliance while buying it, is that the oven knob does not have any temperatures listed on it.  At all.  There is a small and large flame, just like for the burners.   Hmmmm....
Good thing I have an oven thermometer or I'd be pretty lost.  I think I'm going to make some tick marks on the stove at 25 or 50 degrees around where the dial turns, or I'll always have to kind of be guessing where to set it and then checking the thermometer.

We did cook on the stove.  I made some rice tonight and it seems that I had the flame too high since the result was a bit... um, well... dry.  The bottom was hard and crusty and kind of hurt to chew, but I gave Ahmed all the fluffier rice.  lol   It did have decent taste, just a bit too crispy. 
In any case, next time I know to turn the flame lower.

The thing about the washing machine that I'm not entirely happy with is that it takes anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do a load of wash.  Which seems pretty outrageous to me.  Not that I'll always have a ton of laundry to do, it just seems like a very long time.  And right now it seems more so because I do have piles of laundry to do.

Been unpacking and washing the kitchen stuff that we've bought.  I lined the kitchen cupboard shelves temporarily with foil as I didn't want to put stuff down on the unfinished wood and we don't have any shelf lining paper yet.  I thought the foil might just be okay, but it appears to be on the thin side and prone to tearing, so we will have to get some liner.

We found some great rugs for a VERY cheap price.  Very nice oriental looking ones, I forget what they're called, but we found some for 100 to 200 pounds.  Which is like 20 to 40 bucks.  And they're a decent size.  So we're pretty happy about that, though we still need to pick a couple up.

Lots going on.  Hoping to bake something tomorrow.  We'll see.

Oh yeah.  We have a rooster nearby.  It cockle doodle doo's at odd hours during the night.  Last night was around 2 a.m. or so, and the night before was around 5 a.m., though it wasn't light out yet.

Alright, tired, will try to post more tomorrow.  And will post some pictures too insha'Allah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a gas stove & when my rice water comes to a boil I lower it to a simmer for about 20 minutes, pretty standard I guess. I was surprised to find that in order to get the rice cooked perfectly, the flame is barely on. The tiniest little flame seems to be enough to keep it at the right simmering point.Of course, all stoves are different, but I thought you might like a visual clue of sorts. I'm thrilled for you! there is nothing quite like that nesting feeling! xo

Melissa said...

Thanks! I made rice again and we figured out the low flame and the small burner. :D
Amazing what a difference there is between gas and electric.
I guess gas is more efficient than electric, just need some time to figure out flame ranges. lol