Friday, December 11, 2009

No distance

Family is a topic that has more to write about and speak about than any one person has the time or probably the inclination.

We are all born of a mother and father, and even without siblings, the ancestors reach further back in time than we can easily trace.

There are a lot of sayings about family.  One that comes immediately to mind for me is, "blood is thicker than water", but here is a whole page full of sayings that are funny and quite often true, Family Sayings

I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect family.  Even when we are alike, we are all so different.
There are bound to be squabbles over many things, the more mundane such as food and larger things such as politics or religion.

And yet, for the most part, most of us are lucky and blessed enough to love our family and be loved in return.

I feel doubly blessed because I've had the opportunity to have more than the normal family unit.  Since I was adopted, I have my biological family, and I have my adoptive family.  Two families instead of just one.  How lucky is that?  There could be twice the amount of squabbles, but what I have ultimately found is that really there is twice the love.

Although I am separated by quite a distance from the family I have grown to know and love, they are always with me in spirit, and in my heart.

There will always be memories I cherish that will bring my family so close to me it is as if there is no distance at all.

I have wonderful memories of taking longs walks with my father and discussing anything and everything.  That is something I won't forget, that I will hold dear for the rest of my life.

And likewise I have fond memories of my mother as well.  I think what we probably came closest on over the years was food, and a love of recipes and cooking.  She was always patient with me in the kitchen and always willing to show me how to do something or explain what she was doing.

So though at times I feel lonely for family and friends I knew, really they are right here with me, keeping me company in my memories and thoughts.

And, as it often happens in life, I now have a third family, the one that I married into!  And though it requires some patience and a lot of learning and adjusting, I care for them and they for me, like I belonged here all along.

Alhamdulillah for family, for love, and for memories.

2 comments:

Shari said...

That is absolutely beautiful, Melissa.

Dad said...

Your sentiments flow both ways, Melissa. God bless you and your new family too - who we have also lovingly accepted into ours. Hopefully we will meet your Ahmed soon. Love, Dad