Monday, December 28, 2009

Alfred Hitchcock presents....

The Mosquitoes!

We haven't had much by way of mosquitoes at the new place.  We get one or two a night, but we moosh them and then everything is fine. 

Last night, for some very odd reason that we are unable to fathom at this point, there were at least 10 mosquitoes that were in the room, over a period of late night / early morning.

At one point, hubby woke up (I was still up, sitting on the bed reading), and he turned the light on and we saw 3 mosquitoes sitting on the wall directly behind the bed.  Waiting.  Biding their time.

I found another on the wall and got it before sleeping sometime past 6 a.m.

All in all it was pretty weird.

We can't figure out exactly where they're coming from, so it's hard to deal with the problem.  The screen in the kitchen window does have some holes in it, but there happens to be a wood beam across those holes, and none of the other screens have holes that we know of.

I suggested that hubby go by his folks house after work and pick up my mosquito net for us to hang over the bed here.  Better than being bitten all night.

:::

Had a problem with my foot the other day and so had a day of sitting around and reading and doing nothing much more towards getting the apartment fixed up than a few dishes.  lol

I don't know why but sometimes the bottom of my foot, where the ball / pads are, gets very swollen.  This time was the worst and I had to limp around putting no pressure on it at all.

Nice excuse to sit around and be lazy.  Not that I didn't just do exactly that for 9 months.  lol

:::


There is an awful smell that comes up through our kitchen sink drain hole.  I can't figure out exactly what it is except stinky.  We have to keep the plug in the drain hole or you can smell it all the way in the bedroom.  I can't imagine why it would smell, since it's the kitchen drain.  A smell like that I could understand coming from the bathroom drain, but the kitchen?  Another mystery it seems.

:::

The dish set that we bought is really great.  Except for the fact that there don't seem to be any dinner sized plates.  lol

There are little plates for the tea cups and the coffee cups.  There are dessert plates and what I would guess are something like salad plates.  But no big plates. 

And the bowls are quite tiny as well.  I'm sure you could get one ladle of soup in there, but I'm not sure if you could get much more.

We have found some plates that we like but they are sold as separates, and we can never find more than a few pieces, in assorted colors, at a time.

We'd like to get some of these as they are nice, so as soon as we can find some complimentary colors, I think we'll get them.

:::

Made another batch of cinnamon swirl bread.  This was the first time I lit and used the oven all by myself.

I put in the additional tray, hoping it would help keep some of the heat from the bottom of the bread pan.  It seems to maybe have helped some, since even though the bottom did get very dark, it wasn't quite as bad as the last time, and I had the bread baking for about 15 or 20 minutes longer this time since I was having trouble getting the oven temperature regulated.  lol

Hubby wants something like lemon squares only with oranges.  Not sure how that would work as oranges or tangerines or whatever aren't nearly as sour as limes and lemons.  I'm afraid if I didn't adjust the sugar it would just taste awful.  We'll see.

He also wants me to bake up a couple of batches of lemon squares for his trip to Kuwait.  lol

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  Perhaps it's true.

:::

I'm sure there must be something more interesting to report but it's just escaping me at the moment.

2 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Maybe the dishes are a luncheon set or a tea set which wouldn't have large plates????
The smell coming from your drain is probably the sewer and means that your water system isn't vented properly. Not a clue as to how you would fix it there since all of the systems seem to be totally alien to what I'm used to.
If hubby wants the lemon bars made with orange, try and find some bitter oranges. He will probably know what they are. The are quite readily available in Spain and Italy, at least they used to be. They are used for marmalade because they have a much more orangey flavor, but aren't as sweet. They might be able to be used without having to worry about changing the amount of sugar.
If your bread is browning too much on the bottom before it is done, I know it sounds counterintuitive, but try baking it at a higher temperature. That way the bread gets done quicker but the bottom isn't exposed to the flame for as long.

Dad said...

Glad that things are moving along in your new apartment. Is there any deodorant/disinfectant liquid you can put down the drain?
If the foot swelling continues please have it medically checked out or change your diet or shoes - Daddy says.