Friday, October 16, 2009

The worst sound

Well, for one reason or another, well, one reason really, being that we didn't have the "right" kind of butter for me to make cookies, although I wanted to make them on Tuesday, I won't be making them until tomorrow.

It's a bit of a story and a bit of one of those, "tomorrow" and then when tomorrow comes it's another "tomorrow" deals.

In any case, we took a walk this evening to go to the bakery Le Poire to get cinnamon rolls with are my new favorite and which I can't seem to get enough of.

On the way back, we were going to pick up some of the "right" butter from a store that is on the way, which normally doesn't carry it but said the other day to come back in a couple of days and they would have it.

Well... just 20 steps or so from getting to the store, a car started up next to us and took off pell mell down the street.

This is no small feat. The streets are narrow, pock marked, full of people walking and bicycles and scooters and cars parked in all sorts of ways on either side.

And this guy just punched it! I've never seen/heard anyone go that fast down one of these small side streets.

Lo and behold, he gets one intersection down, at that point not even a whole block, and we hear the squeal of tires and the crunch of metal on metal.

This sound to me is horrifying and truly one of the very worst sounds there is.

Though a car serves some extremely useful purposes, it is also a weapon, and a loaded one at that. There is never a safety switch with a car, it is always on and ready to fire. And you never know what will be in that line of fire. It could be you.

So we heard the sound of that racing car hitting at least one other car, weather it was moving or parked we aren't sure.

People started coming out onto the street to see what had happened, and we could see a small group form around where the accident happened.

I didn't hear any yelling or shouting, so insha'Allah no one was hurt except maybe the driver.

I don't know if the police were called or what will happen. I don't know what they do with traffic offenders here. Will he have his license taken away or suspended? Will it really make a difference to this guy, in this country where you can buy your way out of almost anything?

Hubby went into the little corner store to get the butter and came back out, and we watched a few seconds more down the street where the accident was before heading back home.

And all the way home I felt slightly disquieted wondering what happened and if anyone was hurt. Even if this driver was a jerk and shouldn't have been driving so dangerously fast, I still don't like to think about anyone being harmed.



Better news being, I now have the correct butter and come hell or high water, I'M MAKING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES TOMORROW!!!

lol

Sometimes it really does take a herculean effort just to get the simplest thing done here.

Love it here all the same though.

5 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I didn't know there were right and wrong kinds of butter. I guess I only know salted and sweet, which, of course are interchangeable mostly if you just adjust the salt in the recipe. What different kinds do you have there???
Jane

Melissa said...

lol, I guess I could have expounded on that.
The "right" kind is Lurpak.

http://www.lurpak.com
/C1256ED9004B6707/O/UWEN5ZSG8E

It's produced by a Danish company and then presumably exported here as opposed to being made here.

The "wrong" kind is called Royal Pack and is Egyptian produced.

Now, there isn't anything technically wrong with Royal Pack, but Ahmed's mom says that it doesn't taste quite as nice and since I'm using the butter for baked goods, I should use the better kind.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean by feeling "disjointed" after seeing and hearing that auto accident. We've driven by accidents in the past and I have felt grief - not every time, but now and then. Strange. Glad you've got the right butter. I use unsalted when I'm baking bread. I think I'll try unsalted the next time I make cookies - see if I can tell the difference.

Dad said...

Yes, a car can produce deadly results. My Dad told me early on that one should consider it a 2 ton missile and to drive accordingly - defensively.

I can smell the baking of chocolate chip coookies now.
Love, Dad

Melissa said...

Funny - I actually *was* baking the cookies when I received the last comment about smelling them. lol