Friday, October 2, 2009

The burning problem

Before I moved here to Egypt, I had been reading different articles and talking with people about the country for several years. I thought I knew a lot of information, at least more than the simple holiday traveler. Well, I do know a lot of information. But I don't have personal experience of all of that info.

I'm now experiencing first hand something that I wish I wasn't.

It seems that every year, for at least the past 10 years, starting at the end of September, the farmers burn their crop waste, causing what is called a "black cloud" to settle over Cairo.

I don't particularly remember it when I visited in October of 2007, and from what I read it lasts for maybe a couple of months every year. However... I was sick with a cough almost the whole time I visited in 2007, so maybe it was from the black cloud, though I can't say for sure.

In any case, it starts up at night, the burning. To tell you the truth, it just smells like a whole lot of fireplace fires going, and I really love the smell of fireplace fires. It reminds me of winter and holidays and cookies and snow and all sorts of nice things.

But this isn't something that is leaving me feeling nice and peaceful.

After being out on the balcony after dark for only 20 or 30 minutes, my chest has tightened and I feel like I'm having trouble breathing!

Although I can smell it in the bedroom (because there's always a window open, with the shutters closed), it isn't as bad and at least gives me some respite from it.

Here are a couple of articles that explain how bad it is if you are interested in reading. The articles start off similarly but differ after a bit.

article 1

article 2

There is other information out there about the black cloud and its affects, but these give a good enough idea of it I think.

I know the government is making some efforts at clearing the air here, but I don't think they are making quite enough effort. I read recently about how Mexico City, which was ranked really high in the list of most polluted cities, has really turned things around and have made a big difference. I wish the government here would get some help or take some pointers, anything to more quickly combat this huge problem.

I applaud their program to replace taxis. I wish it could happen quicker, but it is happening and I'm glad for that.

If I knew of some way that I could make a difference in all of this, I would put my heart and soul into it. Too many people here obviously don't care or have given up on making things better. But I'm sure there are others like me who don't know how they can make a difference.

I will be happy when this season of burning is over. The air won't be sparkling, but I won't be afraid to go out in the evenings after the sun is down.

2 comments:

Londi said...

Wow~ I would wonder all the time how this was affecting my life span. Gosh, 16 million people in that city?? Makes Seattle seem like Podunk, USA. And thank God for that! Too many people meliss. I would go stark raving mad! LOL!

Melissa said...

lol, for sure there are too many people here!

And yes, I do wonder what the air in general is doing to my health and the health of others who live here. In addition to the air quality, the thought of how much dust we inhale on a regular basis, just breathing in and out, is really quite a scary thought. The dust builds up quicker than you could possibly believe, and though people aren't stationary like furniture is, I'm sure we're still inhaling quite a bit of the stuff.

It's no surprise that asthma and other related breathing problems are commonplace here.