Friday, September 11, 2009

Watch it

I know I've mentioned before that there are lizards around here. And what appear to be geckos.

Usually I just see them on the outside of the bathroom window. One actually startled me the other day but then I just laughed as he scooted off the window to who knows where.

Well... last night, I was walking towards the kitchen, and I saw a teeny tiny lizard on the floor border.
I thought it was cute and I was excited to see it in the house.
However, I made the mistake of telling my mother in law about it.
And I am therefore responsible for the death of this poor guy, my mother in law having sprayed about a whole can of insecticide on the poor creature.
I really felt bad about that for the rest of the evening.
Suffice it to say, if I see any more of them I will not say anything, but just smile and enjoy it.

----

I have a few videos that I uploaded to youtube.
I still have some more miscellaneous ones that need uploading but they can wait.

This first one is of the fanoos that my MIL bought for me. You can leave just the lights on without the sound, which is a good thing because the sound is irritating and very loud in person.

fanoos

Next we have a bird making its call. It's a bit of a funny sound. You can hear them throughout the day or night. I haven't seen one, but I just hear them.
It sounds something like, "who who who".
I forget the name of the bird and I'm too lazy to get up and ask Ahmed. If I remember to ask him later I'll post the name.

who who who bird

And then from today, we have a bunch of dragonflies that were all around the tree that is next to the balcony. I was sitting on the couch and my MIL pointed out the balcony doors (which are always open) and I was really surprised when I saw a huge bunch of them flying all over the place above and around and in the tree.
I went out on the balcony to get a closer look and was just delighted and amazed.
This video doesn't actually show them that well, but the video that I got that shows them better has a problem and won't upload for some reason.
I made hubby go look because it was so neat. I hope they stick around.
Maybe they can eat the mosquitoes. lol

dragonflies

2 comments:

Shari said...

The fanoos is so pretty. Do people have these lit only during Ramadan? And if so, what's the significance? Poor little lizard. -- Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Yah the fanoos are only during Ramadan. I think it's just an old custom they do to make things look festive.
We saw a lizard while walking up the stairs to the apartment tonight (we had been out at a friends place) and I showed Ahmed cos I knew he wouldn't kill it, even though he might have wanted to. But I was happy to see the little bugger. lol