Thursday, September 10, 2009

This and that

No news on the apartment.
At all.
lol

Not much else going on. Just focusing on Ramadan. We are about 9 days from the end of fasting, and then will be the 3 days of celebration called Eid.
Ramadan... well, I have mixed feelings about it.
I love the month, and while I am sad to see it end, I am also somewhat relieved after 29 or 30 days of fasting.
But there is a great feeling of being around so many other people who share what you are going through. It's different in the States in most areas, as most places don't have a very large Muslim population.

Eid is nice except that many things close down during those three days, which can be inconvenient to say the least. I'm not sure exactly of what all closes, but some stores and I'm sure some attractions.
But I am looking forward to it.

I just wish I could look forward to it with food that I thought was yummy and should be included in a celebration, instead of what my MIL likes to make.
Don't get me wrong, she makes food that her family loves. I'm just not used to her style of cooking, and of course the cuisine here is different anyways.

I'm quite sure I've gained about 15 or so pounds (possibly more, hard to say with no scale), all of it FAT!
I am really looking forward to cooking when we get our own place, and not eating anything that is fried or full of oil and butter.
I dream of fresh vegetables that are lightly steamed and eaten with nothing on them at all! No butter, no oil, no salt, nothing! :D

All of my parents seem to be gardening right now and I'm so jealous of the fresh veggies they are getting. *sigh*


In other news, I will have to go visit an eye doctor here. Nothing serious I don't think, but all of a sudden my eyesight seems to have changed. It might just be that thing that happens to people when they get older and have to hold everything at arms length to see it alright. lol
I just know that when I bring things closer to my face to look at them, all of a sudden my glasses aren't working right anymore. Things get blurry.
So, either it's age or my eyesight is actually getting better.
We shall see. Sooner or later.

Also need to go and get my resident visa stamp. I think we are going Monday to the mogamma building downtown to do that, but not sure about the date. I just know that it needs to be done before the 19th or we will have to pay a fine, and so I'm fairly sure it will get done. lol

I thought the weather was getting better but it has taken a turn for the worse in terms of humidity. Temps were low to mid 90's, but the humidity shot up like crazy. Urgh.

Hoping to visit the apartment this week. I need to get some things out of my luggage there. And I want to see if the stinky smell has gone from the kitchen cupboards. We left them open to air, and left a window open, and that was two weeks ago come Saturday.

2 comments:

Londi said...

Sounds like moving into an apt. is a major undertaking over there! I hate to thin what it would be like if you bought a house!

Aunt Londi

Melissa said...

It seems like it. I guess it varies by the people moving - it shouldn't be taking as long as it is that is for sure. But hubby is busy with work and this and that, so... I will just try to continue to be patient. I don't have many other choices. lol