Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cinnamon Coffe Cake and an Oven

Today is my brother in law's birthday.
My husband told me the other night that because my hubby's birthday is just a couple of weeks past his brother's, that their mom usually waited and just had one celebration when it was my hubby's birthday.
I kind of laughed but felt sad for his little brother, never getting his own celebration.
So I told hubby that I would bake him something for his birthday.

This morning, I got up and went out to talk with hubby, who was talking to his mom, and he brought up the subject of me baking something today.
When he told his mom about it, she said that I could just wait for my hubby's birthday in two weeks.
lol

I was adamant that there was to be no waiting! :D
Poor guy.

Anyways, I found a recipe that I have not tried but that sounded good. Aunt Carrie's Cinnamon Coffee Cake. No idea who Aunt Carrie is or if her coffee cake is any good, but I sure hope it is.

The cake was made and baked, though how baked I'm not sure.
My MIL doesn't have a temp gauge in her oven and insists that she knows where to turn the knob for how hot I want it, instead of me using the oven thermometer that my mom sent me.
Consequently, the cake baked for closer to an hour, instead of the 25 minutes listed in the instructions, and I'm worried about how it will taste.
We shall see.

In other news, hubby went out and bought our oven last night.
Hip hip hurray!
He bought the one that we looked at last, which is a bigger one than we had originally planned to buy.
It has 5 burners on top and is wider than a "normal" stove, but not quite as high I think.
It is supposed to be delivered tonight at 8:30 and hubby will meet the delivery people at the apartment.

Insha'allah we will be able to buy some more stuff this week for the kitchen, and be moving before you know it!

I think we can all get ready to breathe a big sigh of relief.
lol

2 comments:

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Your MIL kind of reminds me of my grandmother with whom we lived when I was growing up. She insisted that everything had to be baked at 350 degrees, no matter what the recipe said, because at a cooler temperature things wouldn't cook properly and would never get done and at any higher temperature they would surely burn. I think I did a lot of my baking when I was at home while she was taking her afternoon nap :-)
Jane

Melissa said...

lol, yes, I am looking forward to doing some baking in my own oven.
It's actually a bit of a production when I bake here.
My MIL gets all the ingredients out and puts them on the dining room table and I mix everything there.
We have to convert the measurements for the butter since the packages here aren't as nice (with measurements on the side) and they are in grams, but I found a great site to get the conversion.
Also, hubby says hi.
lol