Monday, September 21, 2009

6 months and Eid Mubarak!

Well, the month of fasting, Ramadan, is finally over! Phew!

When greeting fellow Muslims after the last day of fasting, one of the things you can say is, "Eid mubarak!", which means something along the lines of "Happy Celebration", or "Blessed Celebration".

We are actually on the second day of Eid, though we have not done much. I think it is customary to go visit people during Eid and to bring sweets or little presents for kids.

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, I must have come down with some 24 hour things and we were home all day. Today I slept (well, last night) for about 9+ hours, finally getting up around 1:30 p.m.

Technically we went out but it was on Friday night, and I guess Eid starts with Saturday, so I'm not sure how to call that one. It was in celebration of Eid, just early I guess.

We met up again with hubby's friend and friend's wife, and went to a mall called Dandy Mall. It's fairly large and has a Carrefour in it, which is one of the large grocery stores here in Cairo. Dandy Mall is located outside greater Cairo. You head out like you're going to Sheik Zaid, but turn onto the Alexandria Desert Road. It's kind of just out in the middle of nothing. There's no housing or anything out there that I'm aware of, some occasional store or cafe is all.

Hubby and his friend sat at a cafe and talked and had coffee or whatever, and the wife and I went to Carrefour (where I found Gala apples, yipppeeeeee!!!!), and then walked around the mall a little bit.

When the men found us, my back was starting to get sore from all the walking (two and a half hours or so) and not having sat down, and it was close to midnight I guess, so we decided to call it a night.

Nice to see them again and insha'Allah we will meet up again soon. Hubby's friend is more than happy to sit at home with my hubby while us women go off shopping. lol
Sounds good to me.

In other news, I have been here for 6 months as of the 19th!

I can hardly believe it has been that long. I don't know where the time went, though I guess most of it was sat on my butt doing a whole lot of nothing. lol

Some of the rose is fading from the rose tinted glasses, but I guess it's to be expected. I still like it here, there's just some things that I haven't gotten used to, which I think I mentioned before. Well, the main one being how dirty it is here everywhere.

I don't know how long we will live here. I'm alright with it for now, but I have a hankering to explore other countries as well, something new for both hubby and I.
For some reason I have Paris stuck in my head, but it's not the greatest/easiest place for Muslims to live, and I don't think hubby is particularly excited about even visiting Paris, much less living there.

Not sure when my desire to visit Paris started. It was always a place that I NEVER wanted to go to. Something changed I guess.

Still hoping to get to the States for a visit this winter. Need to bug hubby about details.

Hoping to move in a few days. We all know how that goes!!
lol

Hopefully the next time I post it will be from our new place.

Hey, a girl can dream can't she? :D

5 comments:

Londi said...

Funny, but Paris is not a place I have ever wanted to go. Most people think "oh my gosh! Paris! I think I have died and gone to heaven!". Not me. If I never go there, I won't care. Italy and Greece are high on my list of places I wish I could go. Santorini in Greece would be lovely!

Londi

Melissa said...

I would love to visit Italy as well. I don't really know much about Greece but it's lovely from the pictures I've seen.
=)

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

I've been to Paris and it's not on my list to go to again. I don't especially like cities, though. I liked Italy, Germany, Finland and Ireland best. Didn't really like Spain as much, though the northwest and down the coast to Portugal was nice - pretty scenery and cheap travel.
Jane

Melissa said...

There's many countries I'd like to visit in Europe. I'm hoping, since we're closer here than if we were in the States, that it might be easier. Definitely cheaper airfare wise.

Shari said...

IF (big if) we were to do any overseas travel, after touching down and spending a few days in Cairo, I would like to check out the Volga area of Russia where my grandparents were from.