Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fresh doughnuts!

Well, I am feeling quite a bit better, alhamdulillah. Still dragging a bit (or a lot) and a little stuffy, but able to be up and stuff.

Turns out that my friend who is in town came down with what sounds like the same thing I had/have, but I haven't seen her yet so no one can blame it on me! :D

They were supposed to leave tonight to go down to Luxor, but she has been in bed today so they will call us tomorrow and hopefully we can meet before they leave, whenever that is.



My MIL made doughnuts last night. She hasn't made them since I've been here, so it was a nice surprise. They were fried but they weren't overly fried you know? The inside was still very cakey with no oil or heaviness. Very nice. And coated simply with sugar. Oh, and she put the holes back on top of the doughnuts, so they look like they have little hats. Cute. I'll see if there's any left to get a picture.



Here's a picture of the snickerdoodles that I made. I was quite disappointed with the look of them, as in they were flat, but the taste was great.
They usually come out light, fluffy, chewy and airy, and these were light, but flat and more towards the crispy side. I think because they were room temp (and it was hot that day) before going into the oven, that is what made them flat, but not sure. Usually I fridge all my cookie dough before baking, so they go into the oven fairly cool.




Seems hubby is coming down with a cold now, but something different than what I had. His is starting with a cough.
I hope this means we'll be done with getting sick for a while...

4 comments:

Shari said...

The picture of your snickerdoodles - even though they're flat - makes me drool. I've found that if I had more flour than the recipe calls for, my choc chip cookies aren't flat. You might give that a try. So glad that you're feeling better... but poor Ahmed (sniff). -- Love, Mom

Hoot Owl Hollow Nursery said...

Flat as opposed to puffy can be the difference between butter and margarine, or like you said, dough that is too warm going into the oven. Taste, though, is what really matters.

Melissa said...

Seems we're both feeling better so that's good.

As to the cookies, who knows.
My MIL decided to measure out the flour for me, and I'm not sure she was as particular as I get about that.
Did use butter as opposed to margarine, though I have used both when making snickerdoodles before with no problems.
I'm not sure how great the butter is here, I haven't had a taste of it by itself yet to check it's flavor.
And yeah, it was just way too warm going into the oven I think.

Anonymous said...

Those snickerdoodles are right up my alley! I love, love, LOVE crispy cookies like that. The cake-y ones do nothing for me! I like then extra toasty too. They look perfect to me!