Thursday, November 1, 2007

Italian food?

Well, hello to all!
=)

We got out of the house around 4:30 today. We took a microbus down the road a bit to a restaurant called Portofino. It's part cafe and part restaurant. The restaurant part where we were seating was really nicely decorated (even the bathrooms were nice, probably the nicest I've seen in Egypt! lol).
Well, the food was all "Italian" by the menu, but the actual food itself I'm not so sure about.
I had minestrone soup to start and it looked and tasted like no minestrone I've ever had. It had so much pepper I was pretty sure I was going to start breathing fire by the time I was done with it.
The bread was good though. Not too hard and with a light taste.
For my main food I had penne alle primavera or something. Penne pasta with some veggies in a nice red sauce. It was pretty good and I admittedly ate too much!
Ahmed had "potato skins" which weren't like any potato skins I've seen in the states, but I guess they tasted okay. And he had spaghetti which he said was good but which I didn't taste.
Anyways, it was a nice meal and we sat and relaxed and talked after. We were right on the corniche so we could watch the sea as the sun set and watch the people walk by.
When you're in the mood to sit and relax, finding a nice cafe on the corniche is a great way to do it.

We walked for about 15 minutes after we left the restaurant before we caught a taxi and headed for home. After letting dinner settle at home for a bit, here I am!

Still no joy with internet at the apartment but Ahmed is determined! I will be happy to never be on the opposing side from him. lol

We had a nice talk over dinner about the differences between Alexandria and Cairo, and other places in Egypt, like Hurghada and places in the country like Shebin el Kom (I think that's how it's spelled).
We tried to compare the good with the bad for all areas. I guess they all have good things to them. And all have bad as well.
I don't know what the future will bring or if I'll move here at some point or where we'll live.
I know I'm not ready to give up everything in the states just yet. But who knows. I will be happy when Ahmed and I can finally just start our home together, wherever that will be insha'Allah.

I don't think we have any real concrete plans for the rest of our stay here in Alex. We're leaving sometime Tuesday, perhaps early morning, it depends on what we need to do in Cairo, and we're still waiting to hear about a couple of things.
I guess we'll do some more shopping. And some more cafe sitting. And some more being lazy and relaxing.
Life is rough huh? lol
We will be busy when we go back to Cairo because we will only have a few days there before I leave to go back to the states and there is a list of things that we need to do.
Insha'Allah we'll be able to get it all done.

I guess I won't finish writing here before I come home. There's alot to post still, information, impressions, etc. So I'm not sure when I'll finish writing but I'm guessing it will be sometime after I'm back in the states.

I told Ahmed today that I wanted to bring some food with us and go down to the corniche and sit by the sea and feed the cats. If we do it, I'll have him take some pictures. It's crazy all the cats here.

Okay... enough.
Happy first of November to all.
=)
And happy almost Friday!

No comments: