Friday, November 2, 2007

Yay it's Friday

Actually, when you're on vacation, everyday is pretty much Saturday. Sorry!!! =)

Ahmed went out this afternoon and got some fish/shrimps and rice for himself for lunch. I had some of the rice but only a small bite of fish and NO shrimp. I had some ramen, which before coming to Egypt, I hadn't eaten in years. However, it's fast and easy and fills me up.
When we were at the grocery store the other day I found something which is not quite a cookie but more than a cracker. I guess maybe they're British? But they're called digestives. I really like them and I'm hoping I can find them when I'm back home. Anyways, I had some of those too.
Actually... lol... my breakfast this morning consisted of 2 of the "digestives", an Egyptian banana and some chips! How's that for healthy.
However, it isn't always that bad.
And one morning Ahmed made me french toast. I can't remember if I wrote about that or not?
He has a friend who works in import/export and somehow the subject of french toast came up. I guess his friend had heard about it and wanted to know if I knew about it. So Ahmed and I talked about it and Ahmed thought it sounded good and wanted to try it, but understandably, they don't have maple syrup here in Egypt on every store shelf. I doubt if they import it at all actually.
So, I made sure to bring a small bottle of maple syrup with me on my trip, and Ahmed finally had "real" french toast.
I thought we would make it together but it ended up that he made it and served me in bed. How nice is that? :D
He had made it several times before my trip, but just used other stuff on top instead of the syrup. Apparently it tastes okay with jelly, but not quite as good as syrup.

I think we might go to the museum tomorrow. Not sure if we'll end up visiting Fort Quaitby (not sure how it's spelled) or not. Still have to go back to the mall for some hijabs that I wanted. And there is a Starbucks here where the mall is. It's the only Starbucks I've seen in Egypt. I want Ahmed to try a frappuccino. I can't drink them because of the caffeine, and I can't be bothered to have it caffeine free. But I used to drink them on occasion and they are so yummy that I want him to try one.

Time is swiftly running out on my trip. I'm eager to be back home to everything I know and am used to (can't say I'm eager to get back to work though, lol), but I am not looking forward to leaving my new husband behind. We hope that he will be able to come visit by spring or early summer. But it really depends a whole lot on visa issues and there's no way to predict that. If he can't get here easily anytime soon, then I will be back in Egypt sometime within a year insha'Allah. But, I am not looking forward to waiting so long, even spring seems a long time away.

I was leaning on the bedroom window this afternoon, looking out at the street and the activity.
Last night, I had been talking with Ahmed about the subject of homesickness, and if he ever got it. He used to when he was younger, but he has traveled so much for work that he doesn't get it anymore. I wonder if it's like that for everyone? So as I looked out the window this afternoon, I saw a plane passing over and it was headed north, maybe to Italy, or Germany or France or who knows where. But I was thinking, what if I just kept on traveling? What if I went to Italy after I left Egypt, and stayed there til I felt homesick, and then moved on to some other place after Italy, and just kept traveling. Would that feeling of being homesickness eventually go away? Would I still feel like I had a single home somewhere, or would everywhere feel like home?
Well, I guess I won't find that out, at least not on this trip. Life back home awaits.

Enough pondering for now.
Still need to post about driving. And the honking of horns is actually a big subject and fairly amusing.
Also, I'm pretty sure we live in the loudest neighborhood in all of Alexandria. I'm pretty sure everyone here is crazy. lol

2 comments:

Shari said...

I'm waiting for your post about driving there with bated breath...but only because you keep mentioning it, which indicates that it must REALLY be something! LOL Okay, now you've gone and made me hungry for French toast.
Love, Mom

Melissa said...

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having some more french toast as well. I was trying to tell Ahmed about pancakes and the mix that you buy that has the buckwheat flour and how it was really good. There's so many things I want him to try!!