Monday, November 5, 2007

So long Alexandria

Well, it's only 4 and I'm here at the cafe that has the keyboards that don't work so well. The place I like was full.

Ahmed is off at the train station buying our tickets for the trip back to Cairo tomorrow. There are actually different trains for the different classes. It cost us 50 pounds to go from Cairo to Alexandria on first class. I guess it will cost the same going back. The trains are nice enough. They have a/c and bathrooms (I'm not sure how nice they are) and the seats recline a little bit I think and they have footrests. During stops, vendors hop on the train and try to sell you food. There's also a regular drink cart that goes while the train is running.
I took some video out the train window on the way to Alexandria. I guess I'll try to take some more on the way back to Cairo. There's a lot of green areas and farming between the two cities.

I'm having some stomach issues. Not sure what it's from. Possibly parasites? I've been careful not to drink the water, but I do brush my teeth with it. And there's a chance I just ate something that didn't sit right. Who knows. But I hope it gets better before I have to fly home. Being nauseated while flying for 17 hours doesn't sound like all that much fun!
Oddly enough, I've been sick in one way or another for most of my trip here. Mostly it hasn't bothered me too much. The cough was getting old but that finally left. Though there is still some ranges in my voice that I don't have back yet. I guess my lungs really took a beating?

We were watching a movie in the bedroom the night before last. It was half past midnight. And yelling started outside. Not just "normal" yelling, but knock down drug out bar brawl kinda yelling. Except there was no bar and no alcohol involved (I'm fairly sure about that).
Ahmed tried to hear what was going on. Apparently, some guy wanted to park in a spot on the street and the building maintenance guy wouldn't let him, so the driver punched or kicked or hit the maintenance guy. Well, after that, I guess there must have been at least 10 people (at a minimum, really) out there all yelling at each other. Including the wife of the driver (I think, I can't remember). It was so loud and honestly I was slightly freaked out. I could hear the anger in their voices. But maybe I'm just not used to hearing people yell. I can't remember how long it lasted, but at least 10 or 15 minutes.
The next day, as we were walking to the net cafe, the group had gathered up again to start the fight back up. Though it was a little more sane. However, people had gathered to watch and listen. Which seems odd. Really, there are some crazy people here. lol

The one thing I will miss about the neighborhood that we're in is the bird that sounds like a slide whistle. It's really nice to hear. Other than that, the neighborhood could pretty much disappear and I think everyone would be better off!!!
I will miss the walks along the corniche. And the cafe that we sat at while Ahmed induldged in some shisha.
We never made it down to feed the cats on the corniche. We didn't make it to the fort. Or the museum.
I guess we could have done something today if my stomach wasn't so "off".

Well I think after this I'm home for the evening. I don't think walking is a great idea. At least my stomach is telling me that.

We'll be busy in Cairo. I have shopping to do (for myself and others), meet up with a friend from online, have dinner at Ahmed's cousins house (kind of another small wedding party for us), go to Al Azhar, etc., etc.
I'm happy that we'll stay with Ahmed's family tomorrow night before we stay at another apartment for the rest of my stay. I miss his family and I'll be happy to see them again.

Okay, honestly I rambled too much today.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!
=)

No comments: