Sunday, October 28, 2007

Just another day

Well... let's see... we left the house for the first time today at around 7:30 p.m.
It's not that we were doing anything particularly interesting in the apartment. There were some movies on tv and we napped. Time just seems to pass differently here.

Still no internet at the apartment and we will not be able to run a cable from the internet cafe so we are still trying to get the phone line working. There is some problem in the line. Honestly, at the rate things go here, I doubt it will be fixed before we leave on the Tuesday after next. Who knows though, miracles do happen.

I got a picture today, actually a short video, of one of the donkey carts that goes along the street. This particular guy, instead of yelling, has some sort of megaphone. I don't have to tell you how loud that is do I? Of course everyone leaves their windows open, and we're on the second floor, but it's close to ground level.
The donkey carts who go around the neighborhood either sell or buy things. The things they sell are generally vegetables. Lemons, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. And then the guys that buy, they want your old junk and they'll pay you for it (not much I imagine).
The problem is, they go by at least twice a day. Every day. How much junk can one neighborhood have? I really don't understand it. I guess it's more than one guy going around buying, because I think we heard one that was just yelling, not using a megaphone.
Anyways, this guy is so annoying I had to get a video of it. I'll upload it sooner or later to youtube or something so everyone can see.
I'm not sure the total number of carts that go by in a day with the buying and selling but it's quite a few. I guess they have routes worked out for all the neighborhoods. And I doubt there's any kind of union for them, but they must have some system worked out with each other.
When we were in Cairo, at Ahmed's mom and dad's place, there was a donkey cart which sold foul, which is a bean mixture. Similar in texture at least to refried beans, though not exactly. Taste is different though. And it's pronounced more like fool (fuul?), not foul. Ahmed will show me how he makes it before I go home, though he makes it a bit different than his mom. Both kinds are good. I know it's simple to make, I watched him make some the other day, but I can't remember the exact spices he used and how much.

Yesterday when we were out, we took a microbus. It was the first time that we had taken one. They're all over and very popular. They're cheaper than taking a taxi, though in my opinion, the taxis are pretty cheap as well.
Anyways, the microbus we were in was going pell mell down the corniche (street that runs along the sea). I think that's the fastest I've gone in a vehicle since I've been in Egypt. He probably wasn't going any faster than maybe 45 or 50, but usually the streets are so full that you can't go that fast.
The microbuses just go from one end or area of the corniche to another, back and forth all day. It must get really boring driving that but I guess it's a living of some sort. I think it cost us 15 piasters each for our ride. I don't think that's even like a penny in cents? Very cheap.

We ate at Little Ceasers when we were downtown and it was okay. I had spaghetti (since I eat pizza so often) and because the sauce that it usually comes with has beef in it, I just had it with some red sauce on the side. The first bite I took my eyes got wide. Ahmed took a bite and said it's what they use for the breadsticks or something. It's a tad spicy and opened up my sinuses.
The cheesy garlic bread was good though.
And I had a sprite but it was from a fountain. From what I remember of fountain drinks, they put in a syrup and it mixes with water to make the soda. I was trying to tell Ahmed, because I didn't want to drink it if it was mixed with tap water, but he talked to the waitress and she said it was just like regular soda and they didn't use water.
I didn't believe it but what can you do. I said bismillah and drank it anyways.

Alright.... I guess that's it for now. I feel like I want to write but I'm not sure I have anything interesting to say.
Not sure what we're doing tomorrow.
I'll try to post insha'Allah.

love to you all
miss you!

No comments: