Saturday, October 20, 2007

Heliopolis

Well, we took a short trip to Heliopolis last night.
I had a few things to drop off from a friend in the states to her brother here. Her brother owns a kid's clothing store and the clothes were adorable. We sat for some minutes and had a soda and talked.

After that we walked down the street to a cafe called Groppi. There was alot of people smoking shisha there (water pipes) and while I like the smell passing by, I can't say I appreciate sitting around the smell for any period of time. It's rather sickeningly sweet.
And there was this one group of ladies that came in with too many kids and they were all completely without manners. This one little girl kept walking by and staring at me, and I kept smiling at her but I couldn't get anything from her except blank stare. Whatever.

Shortly before we left the cafe, some band started playing music. I guess a wedding party had come and were right to the side of the building? Something like that, but it was hard to see.
Honestly, though I know it's traditional in Egypt to have a wedding party with a band and everyone together dancing etc., it certainly isn't Islamic and I have to say that I don't approve at all. To each their own I guess.
What strikes me is that even though these people were probably Muslims, it's like... tradition is more important to them than what is right or wrong in this case. I guess I don't understand.

After we left the cafe, we went walking around some of the streets, dodging people and looking in windows. There were many shoe and clothing stores, though I guess more shoe stores. It seems everyone comes out with their families and just walks around. I guess it's better than sitting in the house and it's free.
The smell of shawerma when you're walking down the street absolutely fills your nose with the most delightful smell, but once you get abreast of the place selling it, you can't smell it.
If I had to work in a spot where I could smell that all day I'd be fat or crazy. heh

We left and went back home. It's about half an hour or so, if the president isn't blocking traffic. Thankfully we missed it, though we could see the blockage and cars piled up on the other side of the road as we were leaving. It was the same last week when I went to Heliopolis with Ahmed's mother and sister. You wouldn't believe the backup of traffic just because they stop everything to let the president get through. I think I'd start writing letters every day to complain.

Last night we watched the last 4 episodes of season 4 of the show 24. I had never watched the show before coming here, but they were running all of season 4 starting at Eid and were running 4 shows a night. Somehow I got hooked and so we watched the whole season.
They're starting with season 5 tonight, but only running 2 shows a night.
Now I feel like when I'm back in the states I'll want to rent the first few seasons to watch, but I know I could spend my time more wisely. We'll see I guess.

Alright, off to Alexandria tomorrow insha'Allah!
Not sure what time we're leaving, but by noon or so I guess.
I'll be without computer access for at least 24 hours. What will I do??!!! lol
I guess I'll survive. I'll just have to pester my new husband more.
=)

Much love to you all. I hope everyone is well and happy.

1 comment:

Zahra said...

asSalaamu alaikum dear Melissa

I miss you a lot! It's nice to read your blog entries.

much love
salams to you and your family

-z