Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Almost Halloween

Well, it's hard to believe that tomorrow will be halloween. Mostly because I haven't seen any sign of it this year since I've been here in Egypt.
I've been blissfully saved from the early start to Christmas sales as well.
The only thing (aside from the chocolate) that I miss about halloween is that it is always a reminder that the seasons are changing and Autumn is here.

I'm not sure how I'm managing it (actually I know very well) but I am actually losing weight on my trip. I was so sure I would gain weight but I'm just eating differently here and not as much. Well, when we were at Ahmed's parent's house and I was eating his mom's cooking, I'm sure I wasn't losing anything. If we had stayed there the whole time I probably would have gained weight.
Dad, don't worry, I haven't lost that much, just a few pounds.

I have to say, I am truly blessed with a wonderful husband (and a great mother in law!).
When I was talking to Ahmed about him doing all the "cooking" since I've been here, he said that he had been talking to his mom about what kind of pots and pans to bring with us to Alex that I might need to use, and she told him that since I normally do all the cooking at home, he should give me a break and do all the cooking while I was here on vacation. Way to go Ahmed's mom!! lol
Anyways, not only has he been fixing all the food, he has done the cleaning and laundry as well. Though the laundry is probably just because I have no idea how to work the washing machine.
I'm sure all this will change when we are finally able to settle down in our own apartment and start our life together, but for now I am sure enjoying being spoiled.
And he really does spoil me. If he even thinks that something might be wrong he will find out what it is and "fix" it for me.
*sigh*
I love my hunny bunny.
lol

Okay, enough of that.
There were some more noised today that I can add to the list.
bicycle bell
electric staple gun
carpets being beaten out the window

Not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight. Ahmed was talking about getting shawerma, and he'll get chicken I guess so I told him that I would try it.
The third matrix movie will be on tv so I guess we'll watch it. We both like the matrix series.
And it was toooo humid today. It's 7:15 p.m. now and it's about 75 degrees and 78% humidity. Too much for my liking. Ahmed was telling me that in Kuwait, where his aunt lives, they get humidity in the high 90%'s for months at a time. I guess that's one place I won't be living insha'Allah!

There are stray cats everywhere here in Egypt. More than you would possibly believe. Here in Alexandria, there are many that are at the beach and along the corniche where people are eating. But they are also all over in the neighborhoods. I'm not sure how the "problem" got so out of hand, but I guess they aren't big here on spaying and neutering.
In any case, I have seen some of the cutest possible cats and kittens. Sometimes I want to hold or pet them so much, but even the cutest ones are mangy looking and dirty. The ones that aren't cute look even worse. So no touching the cats, just looking. The kittens are just too cute though. I love seeing them.
I think the most common color of cat are the orange/white ones, and then the gray or gray/white ones. For the most part they just look like the common house cat. I have seen a couple of all black cats and I saw one today that was all white except for the tail, which was orange.
There's no way to tell you how many strays there are, but honestly they are just everywhere.
There are not as many stray dogs but I do see them (and hear them) as well.

Okay, Ahmed is off buying us dinner and I guess I'm done rambling here for the day.

So long, farewell....

2 comments:

Shari said...

Hi, Melis - I check your blog site frequently and always enjoy reading about your "adventures" and your impressions of Cairo and Alexandria. You've got a great, if dry, sense of humor! LOL
Love, Mom

Zahra said...

as salaamu alaikum wa rahmat Allahi wa barakatuh! :)

May the Peace, Mercy and Blessings of Allah be upon you Melissa,

Can I just say one thing? MashaAllah!!! Alhamdulillah, all praise is due to Allah. I am so happy that you are so happy !!!!!!!! :)

May both of you be happy together for life and eternity, Ameen!

Love,
Z

ps can't wait til you get home ! :) When is that?